Warning: Illegal string offset 'allow_html' in [path]/geek/gars/mods/display/references.php on line 21
Kenny Aronoff Clinic - Drummer Experiences
drums drum set drummer

Drums resource and community for the online drummer
  The time is now 10:49 AM GMT -4.  
Search Drum Set Connect:

Site Features
Drum Forum
Drum Lessons
Drum Reviews
Drum Kit Photos
Shop
Drum T-Shirts
Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Lessons > Drummer Experiences

Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Kenny Aronoff Clinic
Kenny Aronoff Clinic
Experiences at a Kenny Aronoff drum clinic
Published by AvengedDrummer
06-17-2006
Kenny Aronoff Clinic

Alright, I figured I'll start a clinic journal kinda thing. This was a while ago but Ill try to remember some of the details.

This was one of the best clinics I've been to. Kenny made it really educational, while keeping it interesting for the audience. He played along to songs by Mellisa Etheridge, Black Sabbath, Avril Laigne, and John Cougar Mellencamp. He shined some light on his hectic touring scedule, and told some stories about studio work. His playing was incredibly powerful! And the drums he was using(a tama superstar with a gold sparkle finish) sounded amazing!

Kenny stressed that for every song, there is a beat. He said even though songs like Zep's Kashmir and ACDC's Back in Black have these simple beats, ALOT went in to those simple beats! He said that those drummers "found" the beat for the song, and If they had have played something completely different, the song would'nt have been as good or might have been less appealing. He also said that while those beats were just basic, those drummers had to think of different variables such as, How hard to hit the bass or snare, or how far apart to keep the hi-hats..He explained about alot of stuff in the studio..And I almost fainted when he said he has 250 cymbals he sends around with his 2 kits!

He also rarely overplays. Every fill for the songs he played seemed to fit in perfectly. All in all, it was amazing. I won his signature cowbell at the raffle, and learned ALOT. If you have the chance of seeing this guy. DO IT!

Found the specs on his gear.
13" Mastersound Hi-Hats
(2) 18" A Custom Projection or A medium crash
21" Rock Ride
20" K crash ride
12" Remix Crash with 10" A or K splash
Sometimes he uses 14" mastersounds instead.

And the drums that he tours with are Tama Starclassc Maple or Tama Starclassic Performers. He also mentioned likeing the Bubinga line of Starclassics.

Shop for Kenny Aranoff drum products
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KENNY1.jpg (168.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg KENNY2.jpg (157.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg KENNY3.jpg (156.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg COWBELL.jpg (152.7 KB, 1 views)

Article Tools

Comment

Article Tools