Warning: Illegal string offset 'allow_html' in [path]/geek/gars/mods/display/references.php on line 21
Why I play drums - Drummer Experiences
drums drum set drummer

Drums resource and community for the online drummer
  The time is now 03:18 PM GMT -4.  
Search Drum Set Connect:

Site Features
Drum Forum
Drum Lessons
Drum Reviews
Drum Kit Photos
Shop
Drum T-Shirts
Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Lessons > Drummer Experiences

Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Why I play drums
Why I play drums
Published by full metal
08-30-2006
Why I play drums

I have been asked before why do I play drums and it is a hard question some times. I mean when you look at it we are the hardest working member of the band weather you are playing the kit, the mallets or any thing else in an orcastra ensmable, and well lets not even get started on marching band carring around those hevy things we love to play.
We are the first one to the gig to get set up and we are the last ones to leave for the night and well most of us just cant afored to have a rodie as nice as it would be, so the question still remains why do we do it.

For most people the drummer is just the guy in the back that hits things and thats about it, and to some other muscians we are looked down upon even further, so why take the abuse? I would hav to say that it great knowing that you are what is keeping everything together, the person that is coming up with the best way to make your drums fit the music that you are playing with and by far have the most skills in the band you are playing in just kidding.(maby)
But it is hard work and it is a lot of determination that makes us who we are and even some of us stand out in the music world and I am here to tell you that when you get up there on that stage and the room is packed and the band starts up and everyone in the shuts up and then starts going crazy it is the greatest feeling in the world and if you get to play the covted drum solo everyone in the room with stop whatever they are doing to watch you. you dont see it during the guitar solos or even a bass but always a drum solo and when you get done everyone there will aplude and scream and yell, and it just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling deep down inside and you know why you started playing and why you still play to this day.

So what is it that makes us want to play? I think it is the determination to want to be the best and to want to learn that Rush song and to show off the skills that make us who we are and what it is that drives us to be the best we can. You will never here of a drummer that didnt work hard to get where they are today and the drive to keep working to get better everyday. I guess in a way you could say that most drummers are perfectionest. It has to be perfect in every way, thats why we will practice our rudments everyday and will work on the cross sticking that looks so cool. It is what drives us to be the best and one of the biggest resons that we play. It is a love for the thing we do most.

Why you play drums is somthing that a lot of us may never be able to answer but we know deep down inside why we play and why no matter what we will never give it up.
After you get home from that gig you just played and you are tired and it is 4:00am and you are laying in bed ask yourself that question and you will come to the answer.
Article Tools

By rt55 on 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Re: Why I play drums

Call me crazy...but I think in my case it's something hidden away in my DNA. Like a lot of kids, when I was little, I whanged away on pots and pans using Lincoln Logs as my first sticks (for those outside the US or too young to know, these are a toy wooden building set, with components styles to look like the logs of a log cabin). As a 4th-grader, I took part in a flutophone class (again, for those unexposed to this, the flutophone is a plastic horn used to teach youngsters the basics of playing an instrument). At the end of the semester, the teacher took out a different band insstrument each day for a demonstration. This was in 1964, and I can still tell you that one day he took out a blue sparkle Ludwig 5.5x14 and played some rudiments on it. The batter head was broken, so he flipped it over and played on the snare head. When he played, the rhythm and sound of that drum stirred something in my soul, and I knew that was what I wanted to do. Try as I might, I have been unable to escape it's grip on me ever since. Guess I didn't really try all that hard.

Fast forward into adult life. Still gigging for a part of my living. My Grandfather on my mother's side did some family history research, and found an ancestor who was a snare drummer with the Continental Army in Massachusetts during the American Revolution. Recently, a bass-player friend of mine (always the drummer's best friend!) returned from a history-based vacation trip to the USA's east coast. During his research, he found a list of names and duties from the Continental Army in Pennsylvania. On it was a man with my less-than-ordinary last name who was....yep...a drummer for Washington's army. Was it some kind of genetic memory that was unearthed in that 4th grade music class?

Why do I play now? Well, it's just part and parcel of who and what I am. I find that I am happiest and most comfortable when I'm behind the drum kit. Drumming gives me a feeling of purpose that isn't always so clear in the other endeavors on my life. My drumming won't save the world, but it will make it a more pleasant place to be for a few hours on a Saturday night.

Play on...
RT55
By Elionman on 06-25-2008, 02:59 AM

Sure, anybody can get in front of a mic and sing, or pluck a few strings on a guitar. But we drummers are the ones behind it all, no flashy guitar riffs or a screaming vocals. Were like the backbone of a song, without us it all falls apart. What i love by far is the fact with drums you can completely customize it to your own self. That your not just stuck to one piece of equipment like a guitar. We have to have by far the most skills: Speed, Rhythym, Independance, Coordination, Consistency, and always have a good ear and mind to what could be done to better a piece. Dont like small toms there? then put in a medium one. The ability to add a personal and custmized touch to everything, that 2 drummers can have then exact same gear. They will still play in 2 completely different ways, their own styles, their own sounds. Not just anyone can do what we do evryday. Hey, if it was easy everyone would do it.
By diadrummer on 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM

To get away!!!

To me when I get behind the kit to either practice, record or live I am in another world. Nothing is going on my that world other then me playing the songs. I have tried to explain it to people and its hard to explain it to people that do not play music. Its different then sports or other hobbies (that is what I like to think of it as) and people think we are just sitting there beating away on things and not really thinking about what we are doing just beating.

I have played with many people in my short life and everybody has different outlooks on the drummer some think it is unreal that we can sit there and play with all 4 limbs and sometimes with all 4 of them doing something totally different from each other. Then like said before some (lead players) sorry to point fingers but they are the people I have ran into that just think I sit there and really have no talent because if I did I would have played the guitar.

I love the drums and I love to play no matter where or when it is just something that makes me feel good and gets me away from the days BS.

I would love to make a living playing but, do to location it is most likely not going to happen.

If playing becomes a job, I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!
By sara on 05-18-2009, 09:28 AM

well, for me.. the first time i saw someone play the drums, my heart was moved.. and that was the first time in my ife, i decided to play.. to learn and explore the instrument. it became my life without me knowing it. well, i admit, there were times when i've taken for granted this talent in playing because of other silly interest. but after all those times of searching for something that would make me feel happy, i have fallen into seeing my life as a drummer . People entered my life and made me realized that i should learn to see and appreciate what talent and passion God gave me..

and that is to be a certified Drummer by heart..
Last edited by sara; 05-18-2009 at 09:33 AM..
By jazzman01 on 11-14-2014, 01:25 PM

For me it all started when I was 13 years old and has been with me ever since! The drums are an important part of the band because we have to keep everything together and not just someone who just sits down and keeps a steady beat; it's also about having a voice when you solo which makes people listen. Listen to any of the drum greats and you will see what I mean
By jazzman01 on 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
well, for me.. the first time i saw someone play the drums, my heart was moved.. and that was the first time in my ife, i decided to play.. to learn and explore the instrument. it became my life without me knowing it. well, i admit, there were times when i've taken for granted this talent in playing because of other silly interest. but after all those times of searching for something that would make me feel happy, i have fallen into seeing my life as a drummer . People entered my life and made me realized that i should learn to see and appreciate what talent and passion God gave me..

For me it all started when I was 13 years old and has been with me ever since! The drums are an important part of the band because we have to keep everything together and not just someone who just sits down and keeps a steady beat; it's also about having a voice when you solo which makes people listen. Listen to any of the drum greats and you will see what I mean
By jazzman01 on 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post

By jazzman01 on 11-14-2014, 01:30 PM

I think for me it's about not just being in the background but being just as important as any other member of the band! People listen when you solo and that makes us feel good and for me, the journey started when I was aged 13
Comment

Article Tools