Warning: Illegal string offset 'rows' in [path]/geek/gars/mods/display/attachments.php on line 15
Zildjian ZBT 4-Piece Cymbal Set - Cymbal Reviews
drums drum set drummer

Drums resource and community for the online drummer
  The time is now 08:21 PM GMT -4.  
Search Drum Set Connect:

Site Features
Drum Forum
Drum Lessons
Drum Reviews
Drum Kit Photos
Shop
Drum T-Shirts
Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Reviews > Cymbal Reviews

Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Zildjian ZBT 4-Piece Cymbal Set
Published by Drum Set Connect
08-02-2006

Overview
The Zildjian ZBT 4-Piece Cymbal Set with 18" China and Cymbal Bag includes a 20" ride, 16" crash, and a pair of 14" hi-hats. These are entry-level cymbals made a by a great company in Zildjian. The ZBT-Plus cymbals use the Zildjian Bronze Technology to offer great cymbals with clean stick articulation and controlled overtones.

The Good
Zildjian is one of the most popular and well-known companies in the cymbal industry and you can only expect the best from them. This cymbal package includes everything a starting drummer needs in terms of cymbals and the free china cymbal and cymbal bag that it comes with is definitely a plus. If youre on a budget, then this is probably one of the better deals for your money. Sabian also has a similar package that you might want to look into. As for sound quality, the ride rings quite well and the crash and hi-hats are decent. For the price, there is really not much that competes.

The Bad
Although this is a great deal for beginning drummers, the cymbals are not the best you can get. These are lower line cymbals and there have been many cases where customers have complained about the crash cracking too easily or the ride being too loud and ringing for too long.

The Verdict
Id recommend this package only to beginning drummers who are on a tight budget. Otherwise, itd be wise to invest in something of higher quality which will last you longer and sound much better such as the Zildjian A or K series cymbals. Wuhan also has some comparable cymbals that may cost less.

List Price - $429.00

Musician's Friend

Zildjian ZBT 4-Piece Cymbal Set with FREE 18" China and Cymbal Bag
- $219.99

By zildian999 on 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Member reviews
Features
60%60%60%
Quality
70%70%70%
Value
70%70%70%
Overall
60%60%60%
Average 65%
Re: Zildjian ZBT 4-Piece Cymbal Set

Average Cymbals for the price...but I wouldnt buy them.
By PearlVSX on 10-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Member reviews
Features
30%30%30%
Quality
50%50%50%
Value
50%50%50%
Overall
50%50%50%
Average 45%

I am using a ride, 16 rock crash and rock hats. The rock hats are actually pretty decent: loud, cutting., nice "chic" sound and great open sound. The only reason I have these is that I was poor and needed some pies asap! I would and am going to be selling my 16 rock crash and ride to make way for my new A customs!
All in all these cymbals are pretty good considering the price.and they are Zildjians!
By jswhite75154 on 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Member reviews
Features
50%50%50%
Quality
80%80%80%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 80%

I bought a set of Zildjian ZBTs in January 2006. Priced at about $200 you cant say they aren't worth the price. I am an active musician/music teacher and I use these on my teaching kit and on a few live shows. They are very shinny so they look really good on stage, but unlike the competetors, these actually have some tonal qualities, they project well, and they can tack the beating from those inexperianced drummers. These cymbals are a great set, but i would not recomend mixing them with "higher end " peices. Great for beginners and intermediates alike.
By StickBreaker16 on 02-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Member reviews
Features
40%40%40%
Quality
30%30%30%
Value
70%70%70%
Overall
40%40%40%
Average 45%

I have the ZBT pro 20" ride. I dont like It. I replaced it when I got Sabian B8s. I tried the ZBT Hi Hats and I would rather have kept my stock Pearl hats.
By StickBreaker16 on 02-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Member reviews
Features
40%40%40%
Quality
30%30%30%
Value
70%70%70%
Overall
40%40%40%
Average 45%

My friend had a whole set of these. His crash did crack I believe. I have the ride and it indeed does ring very long and at a wierd pitch. And I have te 10" Splash which seems to bend and warp very easily. But I do like the china cymbal =P. That hats are unbearable.

Save yourself a little dissapointment, get Sabian B8s. If you are a die hard Zildjian fan, then what can I say? Go get 'em but I strongly recommend Sabian B8s for beginners
By VMDrummer on 01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Member reviews
Features
50%50%50%
Quality
80%80%80%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
70%70%70%
Average 73%

These cymbals are definitly for beginners who dont want to spend too much money on new cymbals..just yet. but they definite deliver some excellent sound. my ride hasnt cracked yet or shown much damage at all even after all its use and my 18" Crash sounds excellent!
By JBJ on 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Member reviews
Features
20%20%20%
Quality
20%20%20%
Value
40%40%40%
Overall
20%20%20%
Average 25%
Wink Re: Zildjian ZBT 4-Piece Cymbal Set

As you progress as an artist you'll learn that cymbal sounds are as unique as a fingerprints. Even the same 18" A custom will sound a tad different in their attack, sustain and tonal quality from another 18" A Custom. But even with that said their is a significant difference from the ZBT line to the A Custom or K/Z line. The quality and craftsmanship that goes into A/K/Z cymbals cannot be compared to these lower end "pressed" type cymbals. The metals, tonal groves, bells, ect... all go through a much different process to produce a higher quality cymbal.

They would work well on a practice kit or for the beginner that has a limited cash flow but should not be considered for a stage or recording session. If you do I'm afraid you and your audience will be greatly disappointed. I to started with extremely poor cymbals early in my drumming career but can say honestly that I saved more money and time by buying the best cymbals I could with the money I had. Slowly replacing every cymbal in my collection with high quality pieces. It took many years but some of the cymbals I play with are well over ten years old and getting better with age.

These guys that are saying the B8's are better, ok they may be, for a low end cymbal. But compare the B8's to the Hand Hammer series and you'll see how bad they sound also. An entry level cymbal is an entry level cymbal.

I don't mean to get on a soap box for my first post on these forums but if I can help someone with this it's worth it. Take some time, do your research and buy quality cymbals that can last you a life time. Also don't forget that many drummers will buy high end cymbals and then sell them later looking for a different sound. And there is nothing wrong with that. Their loss can be your gain. Many of my cymbals are used, especially my K's and I got them well below half price new. I personally think you would be better off searching for some used quality cymbals if your strapped for cash versus buying low end new cymbals that you will most likely end up junking in the coming years looking for that fat sound in your crash or the ping in your ride versus the sound of trash cans slamming into a tin roof.

So the moral of the story.....buy quality cymbals........If you have to start with these then so be it, just have a plan to replace them before you get serious.

Beginner=Ok
Novice to Pro= Bad (not to mention you'll be laughed at )

JBJ
By Maine Railfan on 05-31-2010, 12:05 PM

I got the 6 piece ZBT set with a 10" and 8" splash.... The crash cracked after maybe 6 months, the ride sounds horrible, the splashes are very flimsy.... I don't dare to use them!! The upper hat is cracked BADLY and I think my next investment will be some Sabian B8s, I replaced my crash with the B8s and I'm pleased, now for the hard part.... saving the $$$$ to replace it all...
By drumechoes on 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Member reviews
Features
70%70%70%
Quality
70%70%70%
Value
70%70%70%
Overall
70%70%70%
Average 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJ View Post
As you progress as an artist you'll learn that cymbal sounds are as unique as a fingerprints. Even the same 18" A custom will sound a tad different in their attack, sustain and tonal quality from another 18" A Custom. But even with that said their is a significant difference from the ZBT line to the A Custom or K/Z line. The quality and craftsmanship that goes into A/K/Z cymbals cannot be compared to these lower end "pressed" type cymbals. The metals, tonal groves, bells, ect... all go through a much different process to produce a higher quality cymbal.

They would work well on a practice kit or for the beginner that has a limited cash flow but should not be considered for a stage or recording session. If you do I'm afraid you and your audience will be greatly disappointed. I to started with extremely poor cymbals early in my drumming career but can say honestly that I saved more money and time by buying the best cymbals I could with the money I had. Slowly replacing every cymbal in my collection with high quality pieces. It took many years but some of the cymbals I play with are well over ten years old and getting better with age.

These guys that are saying the B8's are better, ok they may be, for a low end cymbal. But compare the B8's to the Hand Hammer series and you'll see how bad they sound also. An entry level cymbal is an entry level cymbal.

I don't mean to get on a soap box for my first post on these forums but if I can help someone with this it's worth it. Take some time, do your research and buy quality cymbals that can last you a life time. Also don't forget that many drummers will buy high end cymbals and then sell them later looking for a different sound. And there is nothing wrong with that. Their loss can be your gain. Many of my cymbals are used, especially my K's and I got them well below half price new. I personally think you would be better off searching for some used quality cymbals if your strapped for cash versus buying low end new cymbals that you will most likely end up junking in the coming years looking for that fat sound in your crash or the ping in your ride versus the sound of trash cans slamming into a tin roof.

So the moral of the story.....buy quality cymbals........If you have to start with these then so be it, just have a plan to replace them before you get serious.

Beginner=Ok
Novice to Pro= Bad (not to mention you'll be laughed at )

JBJ
I would agree with JBJ on all accounts...however.... in today's economic landscape it is neither practical nor realistic to say to a beginning or intermediate drummer to go out and spend 1 or 2X the amount he spent on his drum kit for cymbals. Most start up bands or drummers do not have that kind of cash flow. I am an experienced drummer and I was out of the game for awhile but recently within the last few years decided to commit to a gigging band again. If I followed your advice strictly, I would have to purchase a Percussion plus set and with the money leftover from what would have gone towards a Yamaha or Pearl set, buy the As or Ks....that to me would be just as big a disaster.

JBJ, you are correct, ZBT is not going to produce like the Ks or Custom A's, hell...no one can argue that, I would LOVE to have the As or Ks or Sabians for that matter...but at the same time ZBTs by themselves ARE REALLY NOT THAT BAD. My advice to all musicians, has been the same as yours; buy the best instruments you can with the money you have. For the interm the ZBTs handle the task. I have listened to the cymbals in recordings and I can tell you I honestly cannot tell a significant difference between the ZBTs and host of other higher end cymbals. Maybe someone else can...but damn, I just can't.

And those guys that break the ZBT cymbals I would simply like to ask, what the heck are you using to hit them with? A sledge hammer, bonham style? I cant believe anyone hitting hard(and I don't hit "soft"), could break these things. Sorry if anyone disagrees but that's where I stand.
Comment

Review Tools