Warning: Illegal string offset 'allow_html' in [path]/geek/gars/mods/display/references.php on line 21
How the Drum Set Was Born - Drummer Experiences
drums drum set drummer

Drums resource and community for the online drummer
  The time is now 03:48 PM GMT -4.  
Search Drum Set Connect:

Site Features
Drum Forum
Drum Lessons
Drum Reviews
Drum Kit Photos
Shop
Drum T-Shirts
Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Lessons > Drummer Experiences

Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
How the Drum Set Was Born
History of the drum set
Published by Russ
08-31-2006

Drums have been around for a very long time and have been a big part of many cultures and traditions. For example, in most African cultures, drums were the main driving force of many religious ceremonies. The African tribes relied on the use of drums to express themselves and to portray many emotions.

Having said this, the modern drum set first originated in New Orleans, Louisiana in the United States in the early 1900’s. After slavery was abolished in the United States, many African Americans moved to cities like New Orleans, Chicago, and New York to look for work and make a living. In the process, they brought with them their African traditions and culture – mainly music. Before this heavy influence, music in the United States was mostly comprised of orchestras or marching bands.

This is where the birth of the drum set comes into play. When African American families were freed from slavery, they were easily able to express themselves through their music. This music, which was completely new to Caucasians living in the United States, quickly gained acceptance and spread all throughout the country. This new style of music, now called jazz, was heavily based on rhythm, grooves, and beats with melodies and harmonies layered on top. Jazz bands had a lot of players in them to begin with so it was not feasible to have a whole percussion section. This is where the idea first came up to have one percussion player playing all of the necessary percussion instruments. These players were the first drum set players.

The first drum sets were comprised of a bass drum, a snare drum, and sometimes a cymbal of some sort. It was the jazz era in which the drum set was born and it quickly became recognized and accepted as a “real” instrument. It would later be utilized for other styles of music like rock as you know today.
Article Tools

By guss on 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I Am NOT related to russ, but the above was intersting page about history...I LOVE HISTORY ESPECILY music history. i am glad someone was able to share facts about drumming history that i didn't know.
By jakeman2006 on 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Any good books on history of music please send my way
By guss on 07-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeman2006 View Post
Any good books on history of music please send my way
I have a good 1 ill post it later.
Comment

Article Tools