Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Davenhurst is on a distinguished road

Anyone else self-taught?

Just saw the thread about what you look for in a drum instructor and had a thought - I'd be interested to know what sort of education you've all had in terms of drumming, and what you feel its done for your playing alongside listening to drummers, watching drummers and just jamming....

I'll start off by saying that I've never had a lesson in my life, anyone else? I'd like to hear how other untutored drummers feel about their playing too.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
I've never had a lesson either... Theres so many resources on the internet you almost dont need a teacher anymore.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

tenrap76 is on a distinguished road

Re: Anyone else self-taught?

as a drummer, i am 5 years old and a self taught too. to be an effective in self-teaching, you need to learn drum notation, which is preety easy. after that, there are lots of resources out there-books, videos, websites etc. so far i have learned from 5 books and currently i am refering 3 books during my practice session. learning independently is better once you hone your basic skills because there is flexibily of time and space.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
I started off with some lessons but then after a year or so realized that I could teach myself through books, videos, and the internet. So I went independent for a bit. The only problem with that is that if you don't have a gig or a band it's really hard to stay motivated and try to get better.

For people just trying to get better, I think teachers are a good source of motivation. They could also push harder than you'd probaly push yourself.

But then again, I know a lot of great drummers who were self taught and are really amazing.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

DynaSynergy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyutae View Post
I started off with some lessons but then after a year or so realized that I could teach myself through books, videos, and the internet. So I went independent for a bit. The only problem with that is that if you don't have a gig or a band it's really hard to stay motivated and try to get better.

For people just trying to get better, I think teachers are a good source of motivation. They could also push harder than you'd probaly push yourself.

But then again, I know a lot of great drummers who were self taught and are really amazing.
Buddy Rich is self taught & he is the greatest ( dead or alive ) todate !
However, one could progress at a faster & easier pace with an excellent drum coach who is willing to share drumkit secrets ! ( How to play & sound better with less effort ! )

Old 04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

jazzman01 is on a distinguished road

Yes, of course Buddy was the greatest; I've seen him do things that other drummers can't do and he had the fastest single stroke roll I have ever seen.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Gr8guitar69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyutae View Post

I couldn't find the "Say Hello Area so ... I just joined "HELL-O'...! I taught myself to play drums yra ago and now at 63 I bought a Flawless 1982 Tama Swing Star Kit for my Son and he got better so I just bought him a Star Classic Kit and I'm back to Drums after 39 yrs on Guitar.
I bought the Tama's because they were not much money and for being 30 sum yrs old they look like they're about 3 yrs old and sound darn good. I put Black Seude Heads on them and they really Push a Hugh Volume of Air and the Tone surprized me as it's very good too... any thoughts about weather the New Imperial Stars being better or about the same as the Old Swing Stars, or are you guys to young to have any Vintage Tama's...?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

groove is on a distinguished road

I play vintage Slingerland 1959. LOVE EM. HEADS: 20X18 kick G-mad2 W/fiberskin on front. Toms Aquarian ResponseII fiderskin on bottom, 80's Slingerland 6.5 sn Aquarian Triple Threat. Wide open, no muffling. Close mic, sometimes I trigger the kick as well.
If you like your sound I think that's what you should go with.

Anybody know anything about Walnut shells? I'm looking at the Natal Walnut

Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 AM

benji01 is on a distinguished road
I'm self taught drummer/guitarist/bass guitarist. Taking piano lessons as a child makes it easier. I make sure every student I take on has at least 1-2 years of piano experience.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:38 PM

capitalist_junkie is on a distinguished road
I'm also self-taught. Basically, I always wanted to play drums as a kid, but my mom wouldn't let me. She said it was too noisy. Of course, she let me take clarinet lessons, and I have to say that beginning clarinetists sound waaaay worse than beginning drummers. Anyway, now that I'm out of the house and done with the craziness of college, I have time to spend learning my hobby. I've been working for just a few months now, and my drum kit isn't very big, but that's fine. I'm going to keep teaching myself, even though I'm progressing slowly, because I cannot really afford lessons from a qualified teacher. I don't really have professional aspirations, I just want to learn to play the drums and have some fun with it. Music has always been a hobby for me, and I like adding instruments to my repetoire. I may not ever master anything, but I like having the basics down on a lot of different ones.