Warning: Illegal string offset 'allow_html' in [path]/geek/gars/mods/display/references.php on line 21
How can I teach myself? - Drum Technique
drums drum set drummer

Drums resource and community for the online drummer
  The time is now 03:43 AM GMT -4.  
Search Drum Set Connect:

Site Features
Drum Forum
Drum Lessons
Drum Reviews
Drum Kit Photos
Shop
Drum T-Shirts
Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Lessons > Drum Technique

Closed Article

Article Tools Display Modes
How can I teach myself?
How can I teach myself?
Published by Eddie8
02-05-2009
How can I teach myself?

Hello
I am a beginner player and was wondering if there is an online drum lessons I can take. I would like to be able to start from the beginning. I am unemployed so I don't have any money to spend on drum lessons right now.Is there anything out there?
Thanks.
Article Tools

By sara on 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Re: How can I teach myself?

yes. you can watch YOUTUBE.. there are many online videos there, GOOGLE all about the basics of drumming.. it's all in the internet..
By Tainojim on 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Jenny for starters you'll need to learn rudiments. A bit hard to learn at first, but with practice you get better at it and then you'll get up to speed. I suggest learning the Moeller method.

By Tainojim on 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Here is another good website:

Jacob Kaye.com

By Tainojim on 05-19-2009, 09:06 AM

By Tainojim on 05-19-2009, 09:10 AM

There are 17 basic rudiments. Altogether there are 40. If you can read music here is a sample of what it would look like.

http://www.pas.org/Resources/rudiments/rudiment.pdf
By sara on 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
There are 17 basic rudiments. Altogether there are 40. If you can read music here is a sample of what it would look like.

http://www.pas.org/Resources/rudiments/rudiment.pdf
IT'S EXACTLY WHAT IM LOOKING FOR
By Damo on 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM

The answer to teaching yourself is to first understand HOW you learn, personally. Different people react to different stimulus.

Online lessons are about as correct and thorough as wikipedia, so learn from that at your own risk and remember: Because your mistakes need to be seen before they can be corrected, there is NO substitute for a teacher.
By Tainojim on 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Through my schooling years I've also learned more from the text books than in the classroom from the instructor. At school we reviewed what we learned at home from the books and then graded upon what we learned at home. I also learned more doing my home work and research on my own rather than following the school teacher's criteria that has to be followed by shcool's rules.

Instructors only get you on the right track to get started. There are lots of DVD instructions out there that help you to learn the essentials to get started with drumming. Beginners don't need some one looking over their shoulders to mimic them.

Wikipedia may not be the perfect place for finding things, but it's better than nothing. A good $2000 encyclopedia is quite pricey. Even more if you want them leather covered. I bought one and it did help my sons get through college. But they only used them infrequently.

Nothing wrong with paying a drum instructor for I do it for free when needed to help some kids in the drumming world. Instructional videos can be reviewed over and over again without having to pay for more instructions.

This thread is "How Can I Teach Myself". Check out JacobKaye.com

Not everyone can afford it.

Quote:
"Hello
I am a beginner player and was wondering if there is an online drum lessons I can take. I would like to be able to start from the beginning. I am unemployed so I don't have any money to spend on drum lessons right now.Is there anything out there?"
Last edited by Tainojim; 05-19-2009 at 01:17 PM..
By tit4tat44 on 06-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Talking Re: How can I teach myself?

teaching oneself is great once you get a strong foundation in the basics of drumming-- a great book is basic drumming by joel rothman- stick control by george lawerence stone-- bass drum control by ted kerr--- syncopation also by ted kerr will give you a great start . also practice with a metronome --practicing 1/4 notes, 1/8th notes, 1/16th notes ---starting at 40bpm and stay on that tempo for one week and every week after increase it by 4bpm and after 1yr you'll be up to 120bpm. The reason i say this is because when i started practising i devoloped bad habits and wanted to play right away and wante to play like the pros like neil peart- jeff pocaro-- Danny Saraphine (chicago)- well when i was 25 1990 i received a letter from the man himself about practising and how to become a good drummer (danny saraphine) wrote as the quote above, and dont rush anything, listen to music you really like--and never be in a rush to join a band, bands are not a great enviroment to learn- if you can find a professional in your area that would be great- and never go to someone who shows you more by him playing then you playing on the kit. Fortunately i live across the border from Detroit and had many professionals available. IF you live near a university with a music degree program in music with a Percussion major this should help some one should be able to help-- I know many cant afford Professionals but it's worth the investment-- they will be able to monitor you and will help you not to develope bad habits . i hope thiswill help you.
Closed Article

Article Tools