Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Grimreaper204 is on a distinguished road

Bottom Heads + Tuning Heads

Hey just wondering if it is worth it to buy a name brand for the bottom tom heads and snare head. I have remo ambassadors for the toms and emperor X for the snare , but I've been using the same crappy brand heads that came with my set (Sonic heads haha) Just wondering if it is worth it to spend another like $80 for bottom heads.

ALSO

Tuning wise my friend thats had like 7 years experience said to make sure my toms are nice and tight and his sound good, but for me i have to have my toms loose to get the same sound. Wondering if this has to do with the quality of the bottom head or if I'm overtightening the bottom head. I'm probably gonna play around with the tuning some more today and figure it out

Any help would be awesome
Thanks

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

toxsic is on a distinguished road

Re: Bottom Heads + Tuning Heads

I replaced all my heads when i was able to afford it. I went to get evans heads when the salesmen at guitar center told me to try aquarian heads. I put performance II, two ply heads on the top, and classic clear gloss black single ply on the bottom. There was a big differance in sound quality. I put a hi-energy with a power dot on my snare, and a super kick double ply on my bass. I'm pretty happy with the aquarian heads. You'll have to find what you like best.
I tighten my bottom heads a little tighter, but its personal prefrence, on the sound you want when tuning.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

mind_drummer is on a distinguished road

You will definitely hear the difference when you'll replace your reso. Like you I kept my stock reso for the first year and then replaced them with Aquarian (yes another Aquarian whore) classic clear and immediatly my toms began to sang like they never have done before. My kit is a TAMA and their stock reso are from Evans which is OK so imagine yours which is a Sonic Kit...

Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM

so would it be a smart idea to match the heads that I have for the top with the bottom just minus the ebony so snare with both emperor X remos and toms with both ambassadors? or should I mix it up and get maybe powerstrokes or something so far I like Remo but then again haven't tried much else thanks so far though

Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreaper204 View Post
so would it be a smart idea to match the heads that I have for the top with the bottom just minus the ebony so snare with both emperor X remos and toms with both ambassadors? or should I mix it up and get maybe powerstrokes or something so far I like Remo but then again haven't tried much else thanks so far though

I dont really understand what you mean but what I can say is you cant go wrong fitting clear Remo Ambassador on every of your toms reso.

The good and versatile heads for toms reso are:
Remo Ambassador clear
Evans G1 clear
Aquarian Classic clear

For snare:
Remo diplomat clear or hazy diplomat (thinner)
Evans Hazy 200 clear
Aquarian cleassic clear snare bottom or Aquarian Hi-Performance

Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM

well i have ebony toms but im sure those will still work, also i still have the stock bass head on the outside, changed the main one with remo ebony bass ambassador should I pick up another ebony bass for the outside head too or should I just leave it stock with the kit. Im guessing change it but blah cost me like $40 for that head haha
thanks though really helpful so far

Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Use the good term though

Outside = reso
Main = batter

If you have the Ebony then they may really be ambassador or if you have white circles on them, they are pinstripe. Are those on batter side or resonance side ? If they are batter, well I see no prolem keeping them and replace only the reso. If you still have the stock reso on your bass drum reso, then you should eventually plan replacing it too or place your batter on the reso and buy and good batter like a PS3.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

I'm personally going with evans g2 clear on the top and g1 on the bottom. Because the g1 is half as thick as the g2, you a bit more resonance, but it's a batter head so it doesn't ring out forever.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

taye drummer is on a distinguished road

Guys for the top heads,like the man said////Evans G2 i would do coated On the bottoms I would go G1's ,For Snare i wouls Go Evans ST, top because if your a hard hitter trust me it will
last,For bottom Hazy 300 because you don't want the bottom head to give way while your stricking your top head. Why evans?? Because for the last three years it's never failled me.