Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

broski is on a distinguished road

hello drumsetconnect!

Hey everybody. I am from Evansville IN, I'm 21, blah blah blah... now onto the important information!

I listen to virtually all styles of music, but the genres that will likely influence my playing style the most include metal (Bring Me The Horizon & Miss May I), hardcore (Architects & Your Demise) dubstep (Bassnectar & Datsik), and Hip-Hop. I have also been listening to Enter Shikari A LOT as of late, but I'm not quite sure what genre they fall under. I look up to sooo many drummers. The masters obviously, no need to make a huge list of them! Matt Greiner and Travis Orbin are a couple of drummers that I really look up to specific to my main genre.

I am just getting started, but I have been intrigued by the drums for as long as I can remember. I have begged for a drumset since I was around 3-4, and my parents never gave in.. so now that I have my own income and I can finally get my set! For the sake of getting some practice in I've been using an extremely abused 5 piece Pearl Export w/ included cymbals and hardware that a friend gave me. Needless to say I am desperately wanting to upgrade to a nicer kit that is more for suited to my style. I would absolutely love any advice you can give on how to choose the right drums and cymbals, etc.

I would like to be in a metal band someday in the future, but right now I really just want to practice practice practice. I want to practice as many styles, genres, and techniques as possible to make myself a more disciplined and well rounded drummer. Again, I would love any advice, lessons, links, or any other information you could possibly give me. Thank you all I hope to hear back from you soon

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Re: hello drumsetconnect!

Welcome to Drumset Connect, broski! We will definitey be able to help you out with suggestions for that all important first drumset!

It helps to know how much money you intend to spend. But one principle many on the forum would agree with is to avoid buying a starter set; save enough money to purchase a mid-level kit, even if the drums are used. Mid-level kits will simply last longer and sound better than any starter kit.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

broski is on a distinguished road

This moment has been long overdue for me, so I definitely want my first drumset (well second I guess) to be one that I'm going to love. I know it isn't practical for me to spend $3,000 dollars on what is basically going to be a practice set.. but I want it to be one I'll enjoy for years!

I have been considering buying shells and hardware and building my own set. I think it would be interesting to learn, and I found a guy in my town who builds them and offered to guide me through it.

Is this a bad idea? I do tend to get way ahead of myself sometimes!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Well, it's certainly an important decision.
First, if the buying moment has been long overdue for you, why postpone it by needing to build a drumset.
Second, how handy are you?
Third, what do you want to do more? Play drums or build them?
$3,000 will get you a mid-level kit.
I don't know you very well, but I question the idea of building the set.