Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road

wearing stupid things while playing

I was looking at an old modern drummer today and saw a pic of terry bozzio and I rember when he had that ear ring that had a chain that went to his nose and I always wondered when the day would come if he would rip the thing out with a drum stick.

what are some stupid things you folks have seen drummers wear?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Well I think drummers in general are portrayed as punks so I think Travis Barker would be a good poster boy. The guy has tattoos all over his body, countless piercings, and a mohawk. The earring chain thing sounds ridiculous though.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Gooner is on a distinguished road
Glasses...bad idea when you sweat and it drips on to the inside of the lenses!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Russ is on a distinguished road
Glasses.. definitely not what I expected but true nonetheless. I think it'd look really ridiculous if someone was wearing sports goggle while they were drumming. Drumming isn't THAT intense of an activity.

Wearing contacts when possible is a good idea though.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Yeah, I usually wear contacts. But when I'm on call at the hospital, I wear glasses since I usually don't have time to take contacts out and put them back in...then I like to come home, bang the drums and then sleep like a log...Sports goggles...hmmm...that would be kind of funny

Old 08-30-2006, 10:35 PM

Contacts take about 5 seconds to put in and take out... although it can be much of a hassle.

But then again, glasses aren't exactly hazardous when playing drums.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Trust me...if you work in a hospital, the last things you want to do are touch your eyes and take excess time (when you could be sleeping) because you never know when that pager's gonna light up

Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 PM

Cool. Are you a doctor?

Old 09-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Glynes is on a distinguished road
I have very big, dangly, sparkly earrings that I wear when gigging (if I can't impress 'em with my drumming, I'll dazzle 'em with my jewelry!). I realize there's a good chance that at some point I'll catch one with a stick and rip it out of my ear, but in the meantime, a little bit of bling makes me more noticeable there at the back!

And I always wear a drum key on a chain around my neck. It's one that I found on the stage when setting up for my band's first gig ... and it's a TAMA, which I considered to be an omen, since my most favorite drummer in the world / major inspiration / main mentor is one of the bigger TAMA endorsees.

There's been a big discussion on the wearing-glasses thing elsewhere ... I wear glasses because I can't see without them, and contacts aren't an option ... I think they've save me from hitting myself in the eye more than once.

For pictures of one particular pro who swears by wearing glasses (and apparently fashioned his collection after Elton John), check out some of the shots at: http://www.kennyaronoff.com/photos/live/
I asked him once and he told me that the glasses are a fashion statement rather than safety precaution, but he agreed that they probably saved his eyes too.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 PM

Drummer1919 is on a distinguished road
yeah I have hit myself in the eye a few times, I wear contacts since glasses just got anoring for me, but I wear some pretty rediculus clothing since I am a cross country runner sometimes I sport the short shorts and usually i have a extremly small shirt on or a headband, or something dumb, I would never wear any kind of jewelry though, I don't even like playing with stuff in my pockets, and the headband sometimes helps, one it keeps sweet out of your eyes if your playing a long gig and it also keeps hair out of your face if you have long hair, and besides be a little embaresed I think the when you have short shorts on and a tight shirt there is less to worry about and I feel a lot lighter