Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

taye drummer is on a distinguished road

premier steel snare

Anyone ever played on a premier steel snare, what is it like. we have one
at our church for now, how can i tune it better, what is the best heads for
that type of drum

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Bambam is on a distinguished road

Re: premier steel snare

Which snare is it? Is it the 4 and-a-half inch deep 2000 with the snare always under tension even when thrown off, or is it the deeper 6-inch with reinforcing bead?

For the 2000, tune the reso higher than the the batter, and tune the batter reasonably high. For the deeper snare, tune the batter and reso about the same, and just touch the internal damper lightly to the batter head to silence the ring. Don't "choke" the snare by straining it excessively- the strainer adjustment should be about the mid position to allow the snare to vibrate freely. For the smooth shell 2000, the snare strainer also has four adjustment screws to alter the height from the head before using the separate lateral strainers. With the snare applied, adjust the levelling screws to a position where the snare is just touching the head when in the playing position (very buzzy), then adjust the strainer knobs on both strainer block mounts antil you obtain the dry crack this drum is renowned for.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Jamo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambam View Post
Which snare is it? Is it the 4 and-a-half inch deep 2000 with the snare always under tension even when thrown off, or is it the deeper 6-inch with reinforcing bead?

For the 2000, tune the reso higher than the the batter, and tune the batter reasonably high. For the deeper snare, tune the batter and reso about the same, and just touch the internal damper lightly to the batter head to silence the ring. Don't "choke" the snare by straining it excessively- the strainer adjustment should be about the mid position to allow the snare to vibrate freely. For the smooth shell 2000, the snare strainer also has four adjustment screws to alter the height from the head before using the separate lateral strainers. With the snare applied, adjust the levelling screws to a position where the snare is just touching the head when in the playing position (very buzzy), then adjust the strainer knobs on both strainer block mounts antil you obtain the dry crack this drum is renowned for.
Hope this helps.
Hey Bambam -
Do you know where I can get a set of the Premier 12 wire snares for my 2000? Thanks.
Jamo

Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Jamo is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Tainojim! Looks like I've found a home here. I'll look around for a replacement using this vid as a guide....BUT, the drum has a peculier two-pin attachment scheme...not a cable, not a ribbon...
Jamo

Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Thanks, Tainojim! Looks like I've found a home here. I'll look around for a replacement using this vid as a guide....BUT, the drum has a peculier two-pin attachment scheme...not a cable, not a ribbon...
Jamo
I would look around for vintage drum parts. Also "Georges Drum Shop .com" may be able to help you out. Give them a buzz (on the phone ) and tell them I sent you. There may also be some sort of conversion replacement parts that come in a kit.

Perhaps the "Vintage Drum Shop" here in New York City may be able to help.

I'm all out of ideas at the moment.

But it won't hurt to try either. I'm more familiar with Gretsch and Ludwig drums.

Sorry I can't be of much help with this, but at least I try.

Good luck on your quest,
Jimi