Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Travisfan

Travis Barker sticks

hey guys,
Im using the travis barker zildjian signature sticks right now but they leave a white mark on my cymbals so I'm looking to switch to something else. I really like how they feel though and would stick with them if they didn't leave the marks. Also, they break way too often and arent as durable as I'd like. Any suggestions for sticks that are similar? Something from vic firth or vater would be nice for a change

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
escalade

the TB sticks are pretty crappy. in fact, im not too fond of the zildjian sticks. they should stick to cymbals honestly. try something from vater or vic firth like you mentioned. also pro mark

Old 08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Buzz Roll is on a distinguished road

stick suggestions

go to a drum shop and see for yourself! Theres nothing like feeling the drums and playing with them to test them out. Some suggestions that are similar to the Travis sticks that you might want to consider - Vater Extreme 5B and Vic Firth Steve Gadd

Old 08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
laughz

are these the only sticks that are painted white? I don't get the point of that

Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Beamerzz

they're mostly for looks i would think. some of the marching sticks are painted but most of them don't have the tips painted.

do the travis sticks come in nylon tips? maybe that would solve your problems

Old 08-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I have th TB sticks but the are the ones with the felt on the other end and it was one of those need it right now type deals but I have played with white sticks that were made by other drum companys before and I never had any trouble with them leaving marks but even the felt end on these leave marks on my cymbals.

I normaly use the pro mark 747 and I have for years and they are very simular to the TB sticks as I found out and they are really durbale and can take a beating.

I dont want to down vic or valter but nothing but bad exsperince with them and the same with zildjian as well but the last time I bought zildjian was about 13 years ago and I thought maby they had changed a lot since then but I guess not.

But not to sound like Im taking sides but if you play as hard as it sounds like I would say go with pro mark or even the ahead sticks and I think they can take the punishment that you are dishing out to those drums and cymbals

Old 08-29-2005, 12:24 PM
laughz

well pro mark is still wood, so it's going to break whether you like it or not.. ahead is made of aluminum alloy type of thing so it's obviously going to be able to take more of a beating.. but still ive heard that the tip can fall off of those as well

Old 08-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughz
are these the only sticks that are painted white? I don't get the point of that
Vic Firth's Jack DeJohnette signature models are painted white. I think the justification is that the paint is slightly more tacky than the usual finish and easier for Jack to hang on to.

The other benefit of white sticks is that you can see them on a relatively dark stage!! I switch from sticks to brushes to broomsticks to multi-rods to shakers to mallets and back to sticks often on my gigs. I am always struggling to see/find sticks on a dark floor on a dimly lit stage. I had to resort to putting colored and reflective tape on my brushes 'cos I couldn't see 'em!

Old 09-03-2005, 04:17 PM
wwjd777

What the... The drums usually have at least some sort of spotlight on them. You must be a neglected drummer. How does that make you feel? Haha, anyway do you use coated heads for visibility as well?

Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

myner is on a distinguished road
simple way to get around stick buying.
Go to your local shop. buy those budget sticks. Test them one by one.
find the one you like, and buy them in bulk. You might get a discount :d.
After that You find that stick breaking aint a big deal. the sticks would probably last you 1-2 weeks. Let the mayhem begin!