Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Poker face

stick butt

I've noticed that one of the stick companies (I think it was Vater) has a stick called the "Hammer" which is basically the butt end of the drumstick on both ends. Does anyone play with the butt end? I just can't imagine playing like that, even if the music calls for it. It just feels so unnatural and unbalanced.. so whats your take on this.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2005, 03:59 PM
wwjd777

Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's called the Vater Hammer and it's butts on both ends. To be honest with you, I really don't see the point of this. You can just flip over a regular stick and get the same effect to play for loud and aggressive music. The only advantage I see in getting this is for better balanc and feel. Anyone ever try these?

Old 09-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
From my understanding as put out by freddy grubber (guess I spelt his name right) playing with the butt end of the stick will get you almost the same sound out of a drum as it would playing with the tip becuase most people want to play thru the drum instead of drawing the sound out of it.
but also somthing else that he teaches which is contrary to any teaching that Ive ever had is that when your stick is resting over the snare waiting to hit it that the stick shoud be at rest on the snare instead of over it.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
I don't have the Vater sticks specifically, but I've got a set of Vic Firth "Alex Acuña" model (same basic idea), and some old, thicker-than-usual LP timbale sticks. I'll use 'em occasionally if I'm doing more "percussion-oriented" playing, particularly when I'm not riding on cymbals. I like having the sound/feel of this kind of stick, especially on cowbells, without having to flip my sticks around. The only think I've found lacking is, oddly enough, cross-sticks (or "side sticking," whatever the accepted term is around here) - they sound kind of thin for my tastes compared to a conventionally-shaped stick.

Also, there are the old Hinger "Touch-Tone" aluminum sticks that were the same shape as the Vaters being discussed here - they were designed for orchestral snare drum work. Interesting sticks, and they sounded and felt pretty good for that purpose, IIRC - altho I'd never use them for general drum set work.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

DRUMMER111 is on a distinguished road
yeah vater also has them as the MORGAN ROSE SIGNATURE STICKS

Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

BERZERKER is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BERZERKER
Ive seen Vinnie Paul using the butt-end of his sticks. I have tried playing that way, and dont care for the response. But whatever works best for ya I say