Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

koolaidman1331 is on a distinguished road

Custom drums....I need help!!!

hey everybody...this is my first post

ok, so starting in January, I am going to start ordering the shells, parts, etc for my new set. I have played for about 13 years now and I currently am using a Pearl Export. needless to say...it's time for a long awaited upgrade.
So far, I have decided to go with kellar shells. And that's as far as I have gotten. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or things to keep in mind with the shell sizes because thats what I am stuck on at the moment. I at least know that I want a 4 piece tho would possibly consider getting a second floor tom but thats as far as I want to go right now.

I need a kit that is going to sound good with my band. We play emo/pop rock. We sound a bit like Cartel/ Amber Pacific. Also, when I am just playing for fun, I like to play post-punk/hardcore stuff and play alot of double bass.

So I guess what I am asking is:
1. Does anyone have an idea of some dimensions that would sound good for the genre listed above? and
2. At the very least, give me some tips or things to keep in mind whenever I finally make my decision?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback I can get!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
I know I keep posting this, but, check out the drummers tuning bible. It has heeps of info on all accoustic elements of drums.

I would suggest for your style, a simple 12, 16, 22, scenario. Then depending on your preferance, either a 14 or 18 floor tom later.

Go to your nearest music store and beat every kit you find until you find the type of wood you like.

Most people feel comfortable with maple and most pro's use it, but you may prefer something else.

Good luck.