Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 08-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Confounded is on a distinguished road

Tama vs. Mapex?

Alright, I am currently playing a Tama Rockstar, and its been my only drum set since I stared playing 8 years ago. I love Tama, and I love my Rockstar. Over the years Ive been adding new things, but Ive just gotten to a point where I want a new drum set. There is nothing wrong at all with mine, I just need a change. I was looking at getting the next level up from my rockstar, which would be a Starclassic. The starclassic I was looking at was the Bubinga. I want to add a second floor tom, being a 18in. I went down to talk to someone about purchasing one, and realized that it was WAY WAY out of my price range, and it was now just a dream to purchase one.

I am a person who doesnt like to try new things, and me being a Tama girl, didnt want to look at new options or drum brands. The man at the drum shop told me about 2 Mapex drum sets, the Saturn, and Pro M. Both of them were what I was looking for, and in my price range. I have heard many mixed feelings about Mapex drums, the ones that I have played sounded pretty decent. Im looking to take a step up from my Tama Rockstar, and not a step down.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions between Tama and Mapex, likes or dislikes, or any advice for me at all?

Mandy

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
I think that the Mapex Pro M would definitely be a step up from your Tama Rockstar. They're great drums that sound really good (especially the birch wood shells) and considering that you've never played any other drum set before I think it's worth it to try and venture out to new brands. Mapex is a really popular and well known brand for drums.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

DrummerMom is on a distinguished road
Mandy,

Welcome to the forum! I'm Lori. I would stick with Tama. That's just my opinion. I personally own a PDP MX kit and a Pearl EXR kit. But I have heard that Tama has more to offer and better customer service.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Did you mean that Tama has more to offer and better customer service than Mapex or Pearl? Because I think Pearl is superior in those categories to any other major drum company.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyutae
Did you mean that Tama has more to offer and better customer service than Mapex or Pearl? Because I think Pearl is superior in those categories to any other major drum company.
gyutae,

Tama has more to offere than Mapex. I was just stating what gear I use.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Have you considered the tama superstar?

Old 08-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Confounded is on a distinguished road
Bought the Tama Superstar cutom last night

Old 08-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Congratulations on the purchase. Let us know how it is!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 AM

Post some pictures of it. Did you get a 5 piece kit? Standard or fusion sizes? Also, what color?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Mapex4Ever is on a distinguished road
I'll put my 2 cents in here. By the way it's my first post and HELLO ALL!!! Ok first off, no other company comes close to the customer service delivered by Mapex. Does DW offer a lifetime warranty on their shells??? Nope 3 years. How about Tama?? ( I own a Tama right now) Nope 3 years. I knew a guy who had backed over his bass drum and Mapex sent him a new one overnight no questions asked!! (of course he had contacted the Mapex dealer he had purchased them from first) Now, I see someone had put down the Pro M series and they mentioned Birch. The Pro M does not come in Birch, it is 100% Maple, the M series comes in Birch. They also are offering 6 for 5 or 7 for 6 specials in the M series line. In the Pro M line, certain sets are eligible for a free Black Panther snare and other Pro M's are eligible for free Mapex drum bags. Now I'm not trying to come off as saying Mapex is the best there is nor am I trying to get anyone angry here, I'm stating facts. I have recently moved from Mapex to Tama due to a disagreement with the local Mapex dealer. (basically they were giving me a raw deal on alot of the accessories I was buying, even after I had purchased 5 drum sets from them in 1 year) For those of you who love their Sonor's, welcome to Mapex!! They solely own Sonor now. They also make some lines of Pearl, Tama, Ludwig as well as other lines. That does not mean they make the upper lines for those mentioned companies. They do not. Mapex is KHS industries. Which happens to be the worlds largest manufacturer of musical instruments. The Pro M would have been a HUGE move upward from the Rockstars. I own a Tama StarClassic and I'm not as happy with it as I was my Mapex's but what can you do???? Mapex, by far, out does anyone on warranty and customer service bar none. As soon as I find another Mapex dealer within 100 miles from me, I'll be back behind a Mapex. The Tama set you bought is a very nice set as well ..... Congratulations!! Play it in good health and take care.