Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 07-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

The Rev is on a distinguished road

Tough hardware choice

Hey guys, im deciding on whether to get DW 5000 hardware or Tama roadpro hardware, i have a DW 5000 hi hat stand already and a DW 5000 double braced boom stand which both are awesome. But I'm a little short on cash and I know Tama makes great stuff, im also thinking of getting the iron cobras. basically what im asking is, from personal experience with both, and should i get Tama roadpro hardware or should i save up for more DW 5000. i love my DW hardware a lot, not one problem, anything better/worse with Tama roadpro?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

Re: Tough hardware choice

I've owned both and they're both great.

However, over time I'm now down to using Ludwig flat-based cymbals stands and a Tama Stagemaster single braces hat stand with an Iron Cobra Jr....but I digress...

After having owned the DW stuff for a time (let's say, about a year of doing one-night stands and casuals), I came to the conclusion that it was just too much for me to carry around. It's a little over-engineered from my standpoint and really is made for those drum stars who have a least one drum tech to take care of the stuff.

The Tama RoadPro stuff is uncomplicated, and a little lighter, so I used those for alot longer before I finally went completely back to the stuff I used when I was a kid.

When the double-braced hardware first came out, I was so impressed all those years ago. Like everyone else I was convinced I had to have it or my stuff would just fall down all the time. Fast forward 25 years and my back's been paying for it lately. And it's odd that no stores even carry single-braced stuff anymore (well, save for Pro Drum in Hollywood).

But if it's just me moving the stuff, then I'd go super light. If someone is doing it for me, then heavy is good. Because the stuff doesn't get damaged while you're playing on it. It gets damaged when it gets moved around by people who don't care!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Re: Tough hardware choice

I agree with Bo that both are very good hardware and really you can't make a bad choice either way you go.

I loved my IC Power Glide double until the day I sold it, and I now love my DW 9002 even more than the IC. Here again from a quality standpoint you are good either way you go so make sure you try them both and choose the pedal that feels the best to you.

Keep in mind that when it comes to drum equipment that a higher price tag doesn't necessarily make it better than any other.