Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 05-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Hi11zone is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb i'm new i have 350$-450$ what drum set should i buy?

K im brand new, and just starting i wan't a good quality drum set that won't break from drumming to hard or whatever, and is easy to use/setup

also if you have any great advice or even links to different drum sets that would be awsome!! if possible try to get it in my price range!

Thanks!!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road
ummmmmm, that include cymbals? cause you should go look at the music shops in your area and see fi they have some decent used kits for your price. But ummm with cymbals, some decent kits are...
http://www.music123.com/Comparison/C...,663105,663104
those are decent sets by the looks of it. Verve I've heard is a decent brand for entry level stuff so yea. Just so you know the difference between standard and fusion is fusion just has smaller size tomes, I think 10, 12 and 14in. ones or somethin like that. Bonus with those kits is that you get the planet Z cymbal pack with em' for free. The planetZ's are zildjians entry level or beginner cymbals. And no I haven't played any of those kits or heard the cymbals, almost got the Verve maple birch set though, but I bought a set from a friend that was/is nicer for the same price about. DW and PDP along with some Pulse kits are decent and good starters.

Last edited by shazaam; 05-19-2007 at 01:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2007, 02:59 AM

http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=663105

seems to be nice and the extra bonus is sweet now does it come with pedals or do i have to go buy those? sry im new to this whole thing, and this is a new hobby i will have, and hopefully get good at

thanks agin for your input!

Old 05-19-2007, 03:07 AM

o and whats with the heads and thes other things people say arn't good and they keep chaging ya like i said im all new to this

Old 05-19-2007, 03:24 AM

[QUOTE=shazaam;11280 almost got the Verve maple birch set though, but I bought a set from a friend that was/is nicer for the same price about. DW and PDP along with some Pulse kits are decent and good starters.[/QUOTE]

could u show me what u got?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Pyrochazm is on a distinguished road
I'd say, if you're willing to pay a bit more than 450, go with the Pearl Forum. With a decent set of heads and some tuning, you could record with this kit and have it sound alright. The hardware on the Pearl Forum is also the best in the price range.

Heads (also known as skins) are the part of the drum that you hit. The heads that come with a inexpensive drum kit are typically garbage. At a beginner level though, I'd say play em until you punch through em and get new ones.

The cymbals that come with beginner kits are so crappy sounding that I don't recomend ever playing them. Beginner kits (Most kits for that matter) come with all the hardware you need to get started: Kick pedal, Hi hat stand, cymbal stand, snare stand . All you need to add is a set of hi hats and a ride and you're all set.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Pyrochazm is on a distinguished road
www.musiciansfriend.com is a good place to go for ideas.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochazm View Post
I'd say, if you're willing to pay a bit more than 450, go with the Pearl Forum. With a decent set of heads and some tuning, you could record with this kit and have it sound alright. The hardware on the Pearl Forum is also the best in the price range.

Heads (also known as skins) are the part of the drum that you hit. The heads that come with a inexpensive drum kit are typically garbage. At a beginner level though, I'd say play em until you punch through em and get new ones.

The cymbals that come with beginner kits are so crappy sounding that I don't recomend ever playing them. Beginner kits (Most kits for that matter) come with all the hardware you need to get started: Kick pedal, Hi hat stand, cymbal stand, snare stand . All you need to add is a set of hi hats and a ride and you're all set.
wow thanks..hey umm was wondering if you could recommened what heads and cymbals to get and possibly anything else that would be a great help!
from what i see you said it appears that pearl is my best bet.... only thing is
these sets http://www.music123.com/Comparison/C...,663105,663104 come with free cymbals Planet Z Z4 Planet Z Cymbal Pack not sure how good they are tho but it does save me money...

Last edited by Hi11zone; 05-19-2007 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road
For starters, as in it's your first time playing a set really, the PlanetZ's should be fine. They aren't the best cymbal nor do they sound teh greatest by any means, atleast not personally. If I would have gotten those though with my first kit I'da been in love with em' :P . Nopw for the set though, if you really can't break the budget/don't want to being it's your first kit I'd honestly just go for one of the Verve sets on music123, if you did have more money to spend like $450 for the kit alone and then another $200 for cymbals I'd say go to musiciansfriend and get a Pearl forum along with a Meinl MCS or Zildgian ZBT cymbal pack(hats, ride and crash, I think 14in, 20in and 16in both come in) and you'd be set, but you are restricted. The Verve kit as far as I know is a perty decent kit, won't say that for sure cause honestly the only place I've seen one is on music123 but IMO it seems to be a nice setup for the money. Like I think I mentioned in my last post, I'd get the maple birch one(dunno if I'd go for fusion or standard, probably standard I'm thinking) just cause it has more lugs on the bass drum for better tuning and I thought I seen somewhere that they were 7ply shells, not 6 like the maple pro.
Like pyro said, you get the hardware and all with those sets With the verve kits, what you see in teh picture is what you're getting, except in the maple pro pics cause they don't show the planetZ's in there, but you get em' so yea.
Heads are a whole nother realm all together :P Near everyone has the specific heads they like. I'm using Remo heads on my toms and bass and a yamaha on the snare, umm I can't remember the model, but I happily tehy came on the set and they are perty decent heads so I haven't swapped em' out yet. When I do though I'm gonna be getting remo ebony's Best way though is to experiment really. But a head(s) that quite a few drummer friends use or atleast I'm perty sure they do is the Evans G2 almost positive that's the one...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ck-?sku=443247
between them they some use coated and some use clear so yea, just depends on the sound you want.
O yea, one last thing, pyro said that with beginner kits you usually get crappy cymbals, iono, but I'm perty sure he's meaning the company brand cymbals like if you get a Pulse kit, sometimes you'll get it with the Pulse cymbal;s which do suck.
O yea, and here's my kit..
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=445160
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=445812

Old 05-19-2007, 01:10 PM

wow i love how fast im getting replys you all rock!

wow heads arn't that expensive i feel so nooobish at this. haha

http://www.drumsetconnect.com/forums...ead&forumid=56 could u point me to the exact links for the heads and which snare http://www.drumsetconnect.com/forums...ead&forumid=56 to get that would be awsome!

sry if i seem demanding or have 100s of questions but im new at this, and i wan't to get a decent set, and cymbals/heads, and start learning the whole drum language!! thanks agin guys!

you all rock!

so far i may get this kit http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...rl-?sku=449482

or http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=150330