Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road

working on speed

I have been working out every single day and will continue for the next year due to military training. So I am trying to come up with things that i can do to work on my speed and control and I think I might have found somthing but it is still very new so I will reporting on this every now and then to let you all know how it is comming and if it is worth you guys going out and maby trying the same things.

I have started using a punching speed bag.

for those of you that might not know what that is it is the little bag thing you see boxers hitting and making it bounce back and forth really fast.
I have found in the last few days of hitting it that if your left isnt as fast as your right you will lose the rythum that you have going.
It takes a little whaile to teach your hands and arms to move and hit the bag the right way but it helps work on control and cordnation.

if any of you have any exspirence with a speed bag or somthing like it let us all know and maby we can figure out if it does help with drumming.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Well working out in general will help your endurance and will help you to play some heavy stuff on the drums for a longer period of time.

As for the speed bag, I think it might help with coordination and stuff. I never knew how to hit it right like Rocky does in the movies. But yeah, let us know if it helps or not.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Russ is on a distinguished road
Hm, I'm not sure if boxing will be related at all to drumming. There are different muscles and skills involved and I honestly don't think it'll help you much in terms of drumming.

Otherwise, someone like Mike Tyson would be the best drummer in the world.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 AM

Well I am making a report on the whole hitting the punching bag.
I have had varing sucsess with it.

I seem to have a bit more indurance now than I did before I started and it has in some weired way help me come up with a few new rythums to play on the kit.
but it hasnt really helped me with my speed all that much but I found out somthing kinda weired is that I have more control and speed on the speed bag with my left thn I do with the right but n the drums I am a lot faster with my right than my left (im right handed) I dont know why but it is just eiser with my left than my right.

The one big down fall with hitting the punching bag is I guess after so many years of playing my wrist stay loose most of the time and when I hit really hard it impacts my wrist really bad and it hurts like no other.
so if you try it just be carful of how hard you hit and on which part of the bag.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Yeah I think in boxing you're supposed to keep your wrists stiff right? That's opposite drumming where you're supposed to keep your wrists and arms as relaxed as possible.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 PM

Yes you are but in hitting that speed bag it is made to help you relax your musles and kinda made for like a cool down period.
If you are really tense when you go to hit it that is when it becomes even more difficult to hit.