Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

ZombieFiend 616 is on a distinguished road

Talking Any suggestions???

I have been asked to play in my fiends Drone/Doom band tonight and i have only heard the music briefly on the internet.
Any suggestions for playing this type of music?

This is the first band i will have played the drums for so i am rather looking forward to this as playing anything is better than playing nothing!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Any suggestions???

You have to get your feet wet sometime. Besides, isn't this what you started playing for in the first place.

Good luck to you and just have fun. Some people take drumming too seriously.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:05 PM

skinbeata7734 is on a distinguished road

hey dude i have some experience trying to play that kind of music...first i ask u are you a fan of it... second what type of music is your favorite music to play and listen to...the reason i ask is i love heavy music and i was looking to join a band. met a guy who wanted to play "sludge" which is basically slightly up tempo doom all sounded cool but it requires extremely disciplined drumming. if you're a fan of heavy metal, death metal, deathcore, metalcore...u may not be a fan of drone/doom/sludge/stoner metal... it's really slow and extremely repetitive...it's more guitar driven and drums just sorta accent the guitars... i was the same way as far as wanting to get in a band and joined the sludge band... i wish i would've waited to find a band i enjoyed... cuz after that experience i almost felt like quitting. but i found a band that played the style of music i liked and left the "sludge" band... but it had nothing to do with the guys in the band just not liking the boring drumming... but i suggest you really play music you like or u may get discouraged.but that's just my opinion. let me know if you need some more help. keep in mind you have to be extremely disciplined to play that style of music, to sound good.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 PM

ZombieFiend 616 is on a distinguished road

Hey, cheers for the advice!
After my first 2 and half hour practice with them, i felt we didnt start makin any progress until the last half an hour and i came away pretty discoureged and realising just how much i need to improve my drumming! I dont mind doing repetative as it would be good to work on the basics and get a good steady foundation down but its not where i want to play.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 PM

skinbeata7734 is on a distinguished road

yeah dude same happened to me...you gotta to really be into that type of music to play it i think... i felt the same way about thinking i needed alot more practice which i did and always do but playing in a death metal band( which i wanted to play in the first place...it's just my preferred style) i realized i had the chops to play in a band i just couldn't get into that kind of music.... and you may be the same way... if u have anymore questions or need some more pointers u can email me at skinbeata7734@aol.com... i like to keep in touch with people that have had the same experience as me...but don't be too discouraged realize all drummers still have room to grow!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

So, you got your feet wet.

Now it's time to dive in and start swimming.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Any suggestions???

Hi Zombie,

Hang in there mate do not give up!
I like Tainojim's approach a lot.
Try to relax a bit, it is only drumming, ha-ha.

Even experienced drummers go through exactly the same thing when they start out with a new/other band, I speak from the actual facts that happened to me!

Also, generally the band will understand and they will be accomodating, as long as you put the work in, just keep it extra simple in the beginning.

Good luck, Cheers and Happy drumming,

Harry