Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

staccatogato is on a distinguished road

Electric drum sets

Hey guys I just bought my new Yamaha Dtxpress IV Standard and I wanted to record some drum covers of my own on my computer. I see the MIDI Out outlet on the brain and I'm guessing thats the ticket. Is it? The other question i have is if theres a certain program i have to download on my computer for my drum kit and where could i find that MIDI cable? What the heck is MIDI anyways?!

Any information would be of great help. I know a lot about Acoustic sets but i havent really done my homework on Electric. Thanks guys.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Electric drum sets

MIDI:
Musical Instrument Digital Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

midi cable - Google Search

I hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Yamaha DTXTREMEIIISPECIAL kit in December after playing it and the equally expensive Roland kit side-by-side. I'd been drooling over those Roland mesh heads for years, but the quality of the Yamaha kit's sounds was simply superior. I also decided the Yamaha's rubber drumheads gave a more realistic rebound than the Roland mesh heads. It was an easy decision. This Yamaha is above guytae's price range, however.

I recommend trying cheaper Yamaha kits to hear the sound. Be aware that some of these kits may be already discontinued, so I don't know what kind of backup Yamaha will give you.

I honestly think it's just like any other drumset -- you've got to play them to know if you like them.

Don't assume that every electronic kit will work with your computer or have all the electronic features you want. It's a study.

But you can find an electronic kit you love -- I did, anyway.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

arcavexx is on a distinguished road

Hi, a couple or 3 years ago i purchased a Roland TD3 electronic kit, which i have loved, but there are always a few pros and cons with electronic kits.

I found that it was great for practicing quietly - awesome in fact, and the snare on mine has a mesh head which is very nice. Plus with midi in/out i can connect to my PC and mess around with things.

Am not too sure how the quality of sound is these days but in hindsight i should've saved a bit more money and gone for a better sounding kit (as i do use it for recording demo tracks) as the sounds are limited and doesn't offer a great deal of dynamic range. A large problem with limited sounds is if you are not liking the sound you are making, you are likely to put down your sticks and do something else. This isn't all people, but many.

However, having said that i'm not too bothered about an awesome sound when i practice, and the feel of it is very good. From various electric kits i've played on the general feel of the drums (rebound, etc) has been good.

I would recommend mesh heads if you want to use it as a decent playing drum kit. Or for practicing on a budget go for cheaper ones. Ultimately it depends what you want to do with it.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

RUDE drummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RUDE drummer

Check into the new Pearl E pro. It has real shells and can be converted from Electric to Acoustic. The shells are poplar tho..