Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Buzz Roll is on a distinguished road

Look for a FAT snare sound..

If I want a fat snare sound what do the general characteristics of the drum have to be? deep? please suggest some snare drums. thanks.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Crash

something deep combined with a thick batter side head

Old 08-15-2005, 02:35 AM
rockondude

pour some bacon grease on your snare head

Old 08-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

DRUMMER111 is on a distinguished road
click on the link in my signature that will teach you how to get a fat sound out of your snare

Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 PM
shakenbake

a really deep wood snare maybe maple tuned low

Old 08-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Sport
If I want a fat snare sound what do the general characteristics of the drum have to be? deep? please suggest some snare drums. thanks.
What I've found to help:

- Yes, using a deeper snare will help.
- Don't tension the batter head so high that the drum loses tone and sustain.
- I'm usually not a big fan of two-ply heads on snare drums (altho there are always exceptions, including one of my drums), but often, I'll go with a reverse-dot (coated) head, which I find strengthens (and lowers) the fundamental tone of the drum. Or, I'll go with something like a Remo Fiberskyn head.
- Go with a higher snare wire count, or (paradoxically) a lower snare wire count. A higher count will (obviously) give the drum more "snare sound," which is one way to "fatten" the sound of the drum. On the other hand, I've found that if I cut back to a lower count, like 12-strands, there's more body to the drum's sound (more "head sound" and "shell sound") - I suspect that it has something to do with the smaller set of wires covering less of the resonant head, letting the drum resonate a little bit more freely.
- If you're in the market for a new snare drum, try a wood shell made of something like walnut or mahogany. I've also found that - in my experience, at least - drums made using stave, segment, or single-ply steambent shells, tend to have more "bottom end" to their sound than comparably-sized plywood shells.
- If you're willing to consider a non-standard snare drum diameter, you might want to try a 15" snare. I built my own 5.5x15 maple snare with a Keller shell a while back, and it's a very fat-sounding drum, due in large part to the diameter. EDIT: I hasten to add, tho, that it's quite possible to get a very fat snare drum sound out of a 14" shell. I just wanted to offer an option.

As always, YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary"), but these are some ideas that I've found helpful.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM
laughz

GREAT post malletjazz, i gave you reputation..

what do you consider a high snare wire count? I never considered this when getting sound out of my snare

Old 08-29-2005, 01:20 PM
laughz

btw, I've never heard the phrase, YMMV.. where are you from?

Old 08-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

malletjazz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughz
GREAT post malletjazz, i gave you reputation..
Thanks - I'm glad you found my comments helpful.

Quote:
what do you consider a high snare wire count? I never considered this when getting sound out of my snare
I'd say that anything over 24 (i.e., Puresound 30-strand, or Gibraltar 42-strand) would qualify. Also, some brands (Fat Cat, Noble & Cooley) seem (IMHO) to give a fatter snare sound, even though they don't have more than 24-strands.

BTW, you might find this interesting:

www.malletjazz.com/snares/snarewires

...I put together a page where I offer sound file comparisons of different makes and models of snare wires, using the same snare drum as a reference point. It won't tell you how wires will sound on your drum (unless, of course, your drum is the same as the one I used, a 6x14 Tempus fibreglass with single-ply coated heads...), but you can compare one brand to another, to hear which ones may be brighter/darker, fatter/thinner-sounding, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughz
btw, I've never heard the phrase, YMMV.. where are you from?
Connecticut (USA). I picked up the phrase on a Usenet group for recording engineers. It's borrowed from car commercials: "In our tests, the Pontiac Gazoo got 30 miles per gallon on the highway, 18 mpg in the city. Your mileage may vary."

Old 09-03-2005, 05:14 PM
wwjd777

Thanks for the info. I'm going to play around with the snare wires a little bit to see if I can get a better sound out of my snare. I'm looking to get a really thick snap and I haven't been able to get it.