Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

donnie_runn is on a distinguished road

ankle and wrist weights

Does anyone know if this will help ur feet speed and ur hand speed? It seems like it would, what do u guys think?

First post here lol

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road
Any sort of excersise will help your playing. Give it a try.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Pyrochazm is on a distinguished road
It's something I've thought about but haven't tried with drums. It would probably work; Watch baseball, they swing a bat a few times with a weight on it before they step ip to the plate. I also used to throw punches while holding weights, and throw kicks with ankle weights (Kickboxing training, I wasn't hitting anybody) and it was highly effective at improving my speed and power.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
weights wont help the only thing that will is hours of correct practice.. sorry....

Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Raatikainen22 is on a distinguished road
I would have to say that i haven't tried, but that i think it would work. Simply because resistance training works for hockey and baseball and stuff.. Why not with drumming? I dont know for sure though until i try it for myself..

Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemethebeat View Post
weights wont help the only thing that will is hours of correct practice.. sorry....
Have you tried it?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

givemethebeat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinslapper View Post
Have you tried it?
ahh yes. The interesting thing about playing drums is not in the ability for the muscles to be strong as such, but for the muscles to have been trained. Now, when I talk of trained muscles I talk of the ability to reproduce the exact movement every time. That is not to say the muscles are not strong.

So as an example when doing a rudimental excercise lets say a single parradiddle, we are aiming for consistency natural rebound and ultimately some speed and control over that rebound.

The idea of resistance training in theory is to create a resistance, build strength and when the resistance is removed all seems effortless. In theory.

Upper body strength and low body/leg strength are needed for 'endurance' in playing drums. Weights on legs and arms for drum practice are not required to develop these things. In fact this resistance training techniques can lead to poor posture, loss of fluidity and a false sense of achievement.

If it is strength that is being sort, running up and sand dune with weights strapped to your legs back and arms is very effective.

If it is better drumming one is seeking than master technique and rudiments first. As you are doing this run up and down sand hills with weights on. Give it 6 months and I can assure you, strength and drum set ability will be dramatically improved.

Training suggestion. 26 essential rudiments 2 mins each =52 mins
15 minutes up and down sand hills twice a day = 30 minutes.
10 minutes skipping rope 1 time per day

Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 AM

Well then, if our mate here chooses to get his excersise sitting behind his most prised possesion, the more power to him.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

mouse is on a distinguished road
A little suplementary resistance training never did me any harm. I have used ankle weights which help foot control , stamina and endurance as well as speed. I also have used exercises where the sticks are held by the butt end and played using slow deliberate full strokes.
You must not over do it with these type od exercises, or hurt yourself. Drummers muscles should develop into fast muscles like a race horse not a clydesdale that is all brute strength. Not something you would do all the time.

Occasionally i will run through Stones Stick Control playing on a pillow type surface (back of my office chair with the door locked) and it helps me keep match fit.
Speed and strength in playing ultimitely should come from good wrist/hand/finger playing technique.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

UPSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Several of the BIG KUHANAS of drums have stated that even weighted sticks
should only be used for a maximum of 5 minutes. Longer use can cause serious muscle damage. The biggest reason to even use weighted aluminum sticks is to help pull the left wrist back further in the traditional grip. As you all know, it is not a problem at all to raise the right hand stick to a vertical position using only the wrist. But the traditional left hand grip just refuses to co-operate. Another reason to ask ourselves--WHY STILL TRY TO PLAY WITH THE TRADITIONAL GRIP??? It's ONLY purpose was for military drummers in the 18th century to be able to march & play at the same time. Today when I play, I REALLY TRY NOT TO MARCH AROUND THE STAGE. It's really difficult with all those drums in my kit.