Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

GrooveisKing is on a distinguished road

What's More important FEEL or FILL?

It seems to me like today the focus is increasingly rising on "how fast I can play", or "How many FILLS I can play". In the professional arena this is what gives us drummers a bad name. Overplayers, the non musician in the band, and the list goes on and on. Fills are important, but NEVER at the expense of the groove. Groove is King, and should always be the main focus. What would happen if we were to get as excited about how cool we could make the groove, and the fill was like an "Oh yeah, here's this too"???

Just food for thought.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Patknives is on a distinguished road

Re: What's More important FEEL or FILL?

AC/DC's "Back In Black" is the second highest selling album worldwide behind Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Need I say more?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

CJDG is on a distinguished road

I give them equal value..

I prefer the chaotic arena of speed drumming, progressive metal, art metal, improv
jazz, big band... One could argue that Buddy Rich was an over player who did lots
of fills...

Sometimes the groove is the absence of groove or the odd time signature contrasting
with everyone else. The way it is presented is what I believe this is key. I find
that there are an abundance of musicians who rely on the drummer to be the only
one to keep time; and they are the same who tend to always complain about overplaying
and too many fills. A prime example of a quality musician who keeps the pulse of the
song in mind and allows the other players the freedom to explore. Any guitarist, bassist,
drummer, keys, singer should be able to dance around the pulse of the song without
impacting the other players.

I’ve been obsessed with Guthrie Govan’s Erotic Cake album lately… the whole album
is loaded with taste…

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM

badassbilly is on a distinguished road

feel absolutly. if you got the feel then the fill will make sense. to many drummers throw the standard lets see how fast i can round the toms fill instead of playing around the groove................

Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Dread55 is on a distinguished road

While fills are important.....if they are musical ,I have always felt that it is the space between what you play that makes the groove......not all drummers can play a good groove...it is something felt and not learned.....less is more....just my opinion though.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM

i will add that i would rather listen to phil rudd of acdc than portnoy. though portnoy is awesome technique wise you don't tap your feet to it. thats why i always liked peart great groove and great fills.....

like was stated in the post before mine anyone can fill but a fill is just that. i've gone to many jams and a guy would get up there and do a short i will call it show off warm up. do some crazy fills and your like man this guy got some technique and then come to find out guy can't groove even in 4/4 lor 2/4 let alone even hear the 4... its the stuff between that really counts.

another perfect example is kenny aronoff.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Thumpthdrum is on a distinguished road

Feel is great...Fill is great, together they are awesome. If you have speed but, are off on your timing or apply the speed at inopportune times it will sound like a train wreck. I am more for the groove. I like the KISS method.....Keep It Simple Stupid. an old (underestimated) rocker has long proven that the feel, with an occasional "tasteful" fill works great.......Charlie Watts with the Rollins Stones.
You don't think Charlie has the ability or the knowledge.....check out some of his hobby drumming. When not with the Stones he is a jazz drummer.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpthdrum View Post
Feel is great...Fill is great, together they are awesome. If you have speed but, are off on your timing or apply the speed at inopportune times it will sound like a train wreck. I am more for the groove. I like the KISS method.....Keep It Simple Stupid. an old (underestimated) rocker has long proven that the feel, with an occasional "tasteful" fill works great.......Charlie Watts with the Rollins Stones.
You don't think Charlie has the ability or the knowledge.....check out some of his hobby drumming. When not with the Stones he is a jazz drummer.
couldn't agree more with the charlie watts thing. hes is great with the stones and one hell of a jazz cat. listen to his fills. they ecompass the groove and fall right into place. could he go nuts, absolutly, he has the technique and really understands his craft but his fills compliment the song instead of being self serving. that is the sign of a true musician. props to thumpthdrum.. you got good taste.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:45 PM

rfininen is on a distinguished road

Feel and timing is really important in any situation. I've been called on for many gigs because of timing and feel. The drummer and the bass are the backbone. I am a drummer and producer and for me setting a song in the pocket so that people can feel the song is the key.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Drum Key is on a distinguished road

I'd say feel. You can play a really awesome fill, everyone might go "Oh that's pretty cool", and not really remember it, but if you play a really cool groove, people will go away tapping that groove etc.