Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Re: How NOT To Break Drumsticks

Now my ride is tilted, my hats are on the smaller rod and I have boomed my crash.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Wow, 3 sticks in one show! I broke a 2 wooden tenor mallets in a show once, but they were old.

I don't ever crash my ride, so it is low enough that I don't have to worry about hitting it's side. The only thing I worry about breaking sticks on in my kit is my 14" floor tom. Every now and then I'll hit the rim. I put a little piece of foamy stuff on the rim where I hit it and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Now I just have to get sticks that won't break from hitting heads!

How much do you have your ride tilted? I like mine pretty loose so I don't think I could tilt it too much without tightening the wingnut...

Old 01-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
Wow, 3 sticks in one show! I broke a 2 wooden tenor mallets in a show once, but they were old.

I don't ever crash my ride, so it is low enough that I don't have to worry about hitting it's side. The only thing I worry about breaking sticks on in my kit is my 14" floor tom. Every now and then I'll hit the rim. I put a little piece of foamy stuff on the rim where I hit it and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Now I just have to get sticks that won't break from hitting heads!

How much do you have your ride tilted? I like mine pretty loose so I don't think I could tilt it too much without tightening the wingnut...
About 45%, geometry was a couple of years ago. A friend of mine has stopped breaking cymbals and his felts are tight!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Andy B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDWolfe View Post
Far too often drummers gripe about breaking wooden drumsticks. I play hard rock/heavy metal on a double bass kit and my sticks (Pro-mark 5B w/ NT) last months before I swap them out for new ones.

One thing I have seen a lot of drummers do is to have their cymbals flat and level instead of slightly tilted. If you have them flat, then yes you are going to chew your sticks up because you are going to be prone to hitting the cymbal right on the edge. Wood vs. metal...laws of physics. If you tilt them down some, you will hit more of a glancing blow across the top of the cymbal, which will not only produce a better sound, but it will save your sticks.

Something else you can do is to have your toms as close together as possible. Not only will you be faster and more accurate on fills, but you'll be less likely to hit a rim. Again, wood vs. metal.

Lastly, find out where you are striking your drumheads at. Most strikes should be in the center of the head. For the snare, if you have it set deep under the racktoms, you'll find you'll be more consistent on hitting in the center rather than the edge, something that can lead to another wood vs. metal scenario.

The art of drumming is a science!
Some good tips dude and good advice...but there are some sticks out there that need to be named and shamed...angle and sitting position and drum grip is very important....i have some sticks up to 3 years old .....

Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

zap98 is on a distinguished road

Sort out your grips and stroke e.g. moeller and gladstone techniques can help.

How you develop dynamics, and how responsive the stick is on surfaces, tip and shoulder.

Everything should fall into place. It should save you knackering your sticks in a short space of time.

I've played with the same set of sticks for 3 years; i don't gig, just play for fun almost every week at least more than once, and at least 30mins+.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Clever answer but wrong....Drumming is not an exact science my friend although there are some drummers who think that way including you.
Drummers who think they know everything in relationship to drumming...
Normally drum tutors who have lots of time on there hands or kids who read too many books or who have not yet experienced... 40 years of playing full on......i know good from bad... by applying science to drumming and teaching methods....
dude "Its like teaching a granny to suck eggs".. In relation to the force used when in full flow that is an important factor that you seem to have ignored ...

All drummers don't spend there life tapping out to a Max Bigraves or Bing Crosby classic in there bedroom..dude.... the amount of force you apply to the drum results in pressure on the stick. If the product fails it is down to either inferior wood/material design or construction...flexibility and absorbing qualities...... like a shock wave passing through the stick...Or in your theory a drummer playing with sticks beyond the capability of the drummer. The make up of the said stick, or design....in theory a drum stick that is fit only for the purpose of playing lightly in a bedroom...of not been struck to the point of destruction in a live situation or rehearsal.

I play all styles of music from jazz to funk to rock and yes there are dynamics in drumming. Yes there are Techniques but there are good sticks and there are bad sticks the good drummers remain a constant.....

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Clever answer but wrong....Drumming is not an exact science my friend although there are some drummers who think that way including you.
Drummers who think they know everything in relationship to drumming...
Normally drum tutors who have lots of time on there hands or kids who read too many books or who have not yet experienced... 40 years of playing full on......i know good from bad... by applying science to drumming and teaching methods....
dude "Its like teaching a granny to suck eggs".. In relation to the force used when in full flow that is an important factor that you seem to have ignored ...

All drummers don't spend there life tapping out to a Max Bigraves or Bing Crosby classic in there bedroom..dude.... the amount of force you apply to the drum results in pressure on the stick. If the product fails it is down to either inferior wood/material design or construction...flexibility and absorbing qualities...... like a shock wave passing through the stick...Or in your theory a drummer playing with sticks beyond the capability of the drummer. The make up of the said stick, or design....in theory a drum stick that is fit only for the purpose of playing lightly in a bedroom...of not been struck to the point of destruction in a live situation or rehearsal.

I play all styles of music from jazz to funk to rock and yes there are dynamics in drumming. Yes there are Techniques but there are good sticks and there are bad sticks the good drummers remain a constant.....
LOL! Ok.

You state 'I am wrong'. Well the techniques to develop dyanmics and sensitivity worked for me. Who are you to tell me otherwise? If it worked for me, then whatever statement I am posting here was to suggest.

So you state 'I am wrong'. Please argue why I am wrong?

I think you have pre-judged and assumed too much of me in my posting. Actually it sounds like a close attack on me. It's not even an entry-point to a decent argument; but it actually is...

So...How will you argue this? Will you comeback and give more pre-judgements and assumptions or do you have anything of value to support your argument?

P.S. - Are you a working drummer? I respect working drummers; it is their life.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap98 View Post
LOL! Ok.

You state 'I am wrong'. Well the techniques to develop dyanmics and sensitivity worked for me. Who are you to tell me otherwise? If it worked for me, then whatever statement I am posting here was to suggest.

So you state 'I am wrong'. Please argue why I am wrong?

I think you have pre-judged and assumed too much of me in my posting. Actually it sounds like a close attack on me. It's not even an entry-point to a decent argument; but it actually is...

So...How will you argue this? Will you comeback and give more pre-judgements and assumptions or do you have anything of value to support your argument?

P.S. - Are you a working drummer? I respect working drummers; it is their life.
I hope I did not come across in a condescending way...in answer to your question..yes i am a working drummer and have been working full on since 1979...and still working solid....drumming is not a science dude... it is about common sense...my argument is that under normal drumming conditions some brands of sticks last longer than other sticks and that is a fact and that this relationship has no bearing on the drummer.....when the continuity is the same.....its not an exact science its a talent other wise you would have monkies playing.....drumkit's. try not to be anal about things as they say opinions count for nothing in academic circles..try not to be anal about things...

Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I hope I did not come across in a condescending way...in answer to your question..yes i am a working drummer and have been working full on since 1979...and still working solid....drumming is not a science dude... it is about common sense...my argument is that under normal drumming conditions some brands of sticks last longer than other sticks and that is a fact and that this relationship has no bearing on the drummer.....when the continuity is the same.....its not an exact science its a talent other wise you would have monkies playing.....drumkit's. try not to be anal about things as they say opinions count for nothing in academic circles..try not to be anal about things...
Yes you did come across as very condescending.

Since 1979! Wow i was a nipper wearing starsky and hutch t-shirts and drinking Sodastream! Great year...actually my favourite year. I bet you were a metal drummer in the 80s? Better musicians then than now, at least they might of practiced harder.

Respect there. You are definately a veteran.

I wasn't being anal. Did I come across as anal? I think maybe I did.
To be honest I am not anal person, just try to be concise. I am good like that; but maybe like most drummers here on the board, i play with a smile on my face. Fun.

Well I don't hold any grudge here, its fine with me. I understand where your coming from. I'm cool with that. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap98 View Post
Yes you did come across as very condescending.

Since 1979! Wow i was a nipper wearing starsky and hutch t-shirts and drinking Sodastream! Great year...actually my favourite year. I bet you were a metal drummer in the 80s? Better musicians then than now, at least they might of practiced harder.

Respect there. You are definately a veteran.

I wasn't being anal. Did I come across as anal? I think maybe I did.
To be honest I am not anal person, just try to be concise. I am good like that; but maybe like most drummers here on the board, i play with a smile on my face. Fun.

Well I don't hold any grudge here, its fine with me. I understand where your coming from. I'm cool with that. Thanks for your reply.
No problem ......its only banter at the end of the day...I have been on a mad path Post punk into New wave into Jazz funk fusion, into Electro and Indie into rock covers back into Indie Rock. Into pop covers into Award winning show band.into County band, back into Rock, A&R Rock, Brit Pop, Rock covers and back into Jazz funk into Funk Rock. Then Folk Rock into Metal back into rock, Pop covers, Punk, Rock Classic covers, classic Rock Blues, Blues covers and on it goes........it keeps me on my toes I have gone through every faze of music from Progressive Rock to African Tribal
Original to covers and loved every minute ...............