Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Thomas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Thomas
I don't play double bass. I probably could, but it wouldn't fit my bands vibe. Or sound. Plus, I am mostly influenced by to drummers with simple kits, one bass, two crashes, one ride. I am trying my best to save for my second crash, so then I can play the songs that have two crashes in them.
Double bass would sound cool. If I had more money and a different band, maybe a metal one, I'd go for one. That, and expand my cymbal arsenal. But, I am getting very comfortable with my small Ludwig kit, so I am going to be single bass for quite soem time.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I am going to say this to everyone and be as nice about as I can.

You do not have to play metal or rock to need a double bass.
that seems to be the atidue of a lot of people that that is the only music that it is used with, and the funny thing is that it was invented in jazz music.

I think some of the best drummers use as a great tool instead of like a lot of drummers (including me) as like a crutch.
I know I dont play nerly as well with a single and I have been working on it to get better at it.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Russ is on a distinguished road
full metal,
You are 100% correct when you say that you do no have to play metal or rock to need a double bass. You can basically play any style of music and incorporate a double bass somehow. I'm not sure whether or not the double bass was invented in jazz music (was it?) but I do know that the double bass has many applications in jazz and funk and other softer types of music.

Most people associate double bass with loud booming solos in metal and rock and I think this is what leads to the misconception.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 PM

Drummer1919 is on a distinguished road
the music I play with my band calls for a lot of double bass, it just adds more feeling into the music, but I have a friend that is pretty dumb, he got a pretty nice pearl double pedal and was getting alright at it and spent some quilitiy time practiceing it, then he said that "double pedal is over-rated and people use it to much" and took his off and broke it.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Basher is on a distinguished road
i have an iron conra im not using, i just got sick of using it. now im just using a single eliminator. i find working with a single pedal more challenging and creative.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
i have an iron conra im not using, i just got sick of using it. now im just using a single eliminator. i find working with a single pedal more challenging and creative.
You're right. A single pedal does challenge you to be more creative and think outside the box to come up with more patterns.

However, I still think having a double pedal is a good idea just so you can work on the left foot's coordination and endurance as well. You can always just not play the left side. Why get rid of the double pedal?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

drumbumm164 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to drumbumm164

Re: Reasons why people don't play double bass

I agree it is a vary good way to increse your skills and if you ever did get into a situation where u needed to play double bass your ready to go!!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

Yea, double bass was originally developed by jazz musicians like Ed Shaughnessy, Ray McKinley, etc...just some of the old school jazz guys.
How's double non creative? You can play snare patterns and incorporate them into patterns done up top. Iono for me, I've played with single bass...well since I'd gotten y first set and just got a double bass pedal last summer. 6+ yrs on single bass and 1yr on double bass...I opt for double bass considering I play single anytime I want :P

Old 03-31-2008, 11:17 PM

juan (the ping-pong ref.) is on a distinguished road

I disagree. If people play a certain genre (that doesn't call for a second bass, or a double bass peddle) then I don't think they need to buy on and learn how to use both feet. I also think inexperienced drummers shouldn't go right to the store and get what their favorite drummers have. i.e. double bass peddle, huge china's. Learn the basics first.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

gospelwraith is on a distinguished road

Yes juan I agree with you for the most part, but I think once someone learns how to work a single that it would not hurt. Besides aren't us as drummers always seeking to better ourselves or just learn something new?