Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

drumsagogo is on a distinguished road

Very thin shells

Hi, I've bought some Keller Maple 5 ply/3.3 mm tom shells and a 6 ply/3mm BD on the way. I've put the tom shells (natural finish) in suspension systems. I'm about to drill some small holes near the edge of the bottom of the shells to allow more air to flow out more quickly. I've tried a few heads, Vintage A's, Amb, and Powerstroke 3's. I bought the shells because I'm interested in vintage shells which from my research were mostly quite thin, whether single or 3 ply. The Powerstrokes work on the 16 but kill the sound of the 13. After I've drilled the holes I'll try them with single plies and see what they sound like. Thereafter, if I'm still not happy I'll have the bearing edges changed from double 45 to rounded vintage style. Anyone had any experience with such shells, esp in taming the resonance without suppressing the tone and general life of the drum sound?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

jjohnn77 is on a distinguished road

Re: Very thin shells

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsagogo View Post
Hi, I've bought some Keller Maple 5 ply/3.3 mm tom shells and a 6 ply/3mm BD on the way. I've put the tom shells (natural finish) in suspension systems. I'm about to drill some small holes near the edge of the bottom of the shells to allow more air to flow out more quickly. I've tried a few heads, Vintage A's, Amb, and Powerstroke 3's. I bought the shells because I'm interested in vintage shells which from my research were mostly quite thin, whether single or 3 ply. The Powerstrokes work on the 16 but kill the sound of the 13. After I've drilled the holes I'll try them with single plies and see what they sound like. Thereafter, if I'm still not happy I'll have the bearing edges changed from double 45 to rounded vintage style. Anyone had any experience with such shells, esp in taming the resonance without suppressing the tone and general life of the drum sound?
I can't help as I'm having that resonance, But I would like to ask, what size wholes are you going to drill, and how far from the bottom would you put them? I have a Pearl kit with 6 ply toms,But I have a cheaper set with the 5 ply toms..I get the resonance on both kits..I've tried a few different batter heads, but the results are the same...Sorry I can't give you advice on this,But I'm curious about your technique with the holes..Thanks for your time..

Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Drilling a vent hole into a shell will likely kill the interaction between the batter and resonant heads further amplifying your problem.

I would suggest a different head selection for the 13" as it seems the dampening ring on the Powerstroke 3 is taking too much of the overtone away. I would try a Pinstripe or possibly a Diplomat on the 13" to see if that does the trick.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

before you destroy a nice maple shell by drilling holes in it---send it to me!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM

I got the idea about air vents at the bottom of the shell from Lucio Mastro of Mastro Snare Drums Melbourne (check out his site). He mostly makes snares for the orchestral market and has won accolades for them. He says having holes at the bottom of the shell allows the air to escape without having to bounce around the shell, finding its way back up to the mid shell placed air vent. The holes are very small 1-2 mm, and are placed between the bearing edge and edge of head rim. He made a bronze metal kit (best sounding drums ever) and all had the holes drilled. I notice that other makers also use similar placements or are getting away from the mid shell placed air vent approach.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM

(I did do one long reply but it wouldn't upload). After drilling, I've gone back to coated Amb's and at the moment I'm happy with the sound. Anything else doesn't seem to work, for what I'm after anyway. The Powerstrokes are close but still take off too much highs and mids. With the holes, to my ear the resonance is less and I'm hearing what I describe as more of a 'compressed' sound, which is what I like about using coated heads and tuning them the same top and bottom. NB jjohn77, its not about plys so much as the width of the plys, your Pearls are probably a lot thicker than the Keller 5 plys/3 mm. I'm also using a bees/carnaubra wax and linseed oil polish which in time will positively affect the sound, if I don't sell them first! External dampeners are probably a good option as well.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

I would agree with the snare vents as drum makers have been using them for many many many years.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

richardbest is on a distinguished road

Don't go drilling air holes. That's not y our problem. Some vintage drums had no air holes. Most had a single half-inch hole. I think your problem is head selection. You seem to want to go heavier, when early drum heads were think and single ply. I'd try a Remo diplomat or fibresykn, or similar Evans on the 13". Bearing edges can be simple rounded-over.