Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

The most awesome summer ever.

Hey folks,

Firstly my appologies for not being around much lately. I've been busy with recording and a new band and things have just been a bit hectic.

And then there's last week...

So, about four months ago the lineup for Australia's largest touring festival The Big Day Out (BDO) is released and headlining is my favourite band of all time TOOL. Another personal fav. The Deftones are also on the bill along with a number of great acts including Rammstein, Iggy and the Stooges, Bloody Beetroots, Children Collide, yadda yadda yadda.

My friend Kevin has stayed over at my house and in his usual hungover fugg announces we must fly to melbourne for the show and a possible side show from tool. Kevin is generally quite spend-happy with his money and the last time this happened I politely declined because I simply couldn't justify that sort of expense for a show by anyone. My wife didn't see things this way. Probably still drunk herself, my beloved became rather excited by the idea of shopping to ridiculous proportions in Melbourne while I attended the festival and maybe got tickets to a as yet ficticious side show from the worlds greatest band. So I tentatively agreed and we set about plans to paint Melbourne red.

As it turned out, tool book a show for the Myer music bowl in Melbourne and Kevin had a friend who worked for ticketmaster there who was able to get us good seats. He believed they were in row J. Closer to the date we actually found out they were row a. This seemed like a an awsome development, but I was a little worried about the view and having to sit down for the show. But what the hell, It's tool!

We arrived in the city last saturday the 29th and on our first expedition to buy dinner, ran into Stephan the guitarist for deftones. nagged my wife for a pen and paper then proceeded to gush on him for 5 minutes about his great work and got a signature.

Next day, BDO Melbourne. The vines were boring, Dead Letter Circus and deftones rocked inspite of their sound being turned down, utterley ludicrous in my mind. The bloody beetroots we outstanding and featured Dennis from Refused (greatest hardcore band ever, seriously even if you don't like punk you should hear their last album, brilliant experimental drumming and sounds) on vocals for a few tracks including their remix of Refused's "new noise" (youtube it now if you don't believe me, it's awesome). That track blew my mind and tore the roof of the tent we were in.

Rammstein's new show is amazing. Tonnes of pyros and fireworks. Oh and the singers fake phalus has gotten enormous. Tool were utterly brilliant as always, but I was reserving my excitment for the big show on Wednesday.

In the next few days we did the usual touristy stuff went to the zoo, shopped and in my time there I managed to pick up a 10" tom for my kit and an experimental new stick called hornets which include a bulge at the fulcrum and at the base for better bounceback plus some rubber rings around the base to lessen shock and use as a mallet. Kinda cool. I also learnt a bit about UFIP Cymbals. I'll talk more about this later but I'm seriously considering switching. Check em out if you can.

So, Wednesday we assembled our crew and arrived at the venue for tool. The event staff confiscated my tiny camera. I forgot how much Maynard hates camera flashes and cigarette smoke and signing things, ok he's a bit precious but whatya gonna do? As I made my way down to our seats, security stopped me to check my ticket then fitted me with a bright pink wrist band. I had no idea why but the colour really brought out my eyes. our seats were awsome. Stage was just at head height from seated and I could see everything. Starting to feel a little excited. Then I overheard the security guards discussing the enforcement of the wristbands. Apon questioning the enforcers I quickly discovered that the wristbands were to allow the front row into the small standing room at the front. Now incredibly excited.

The support act Jacob, from New Zealand were great and TOOL's stringsmen joined them onstage for a track.

Tool were mindblowing. They opened with 3rd eye, one of my favourite tracks and proceeded to plow through an amazing set from their last four records including "You lied" from their salival ep and Lateralus, I was so close that I could actually hear the gong for real in the crescendo. I caught a thoroughly used stick and a bass pick which I gave as thanks to Kevin for dragging me to Melbourne and treating me to greatest concert I'm ever likely to see.

The next day we visited acdc lane and Snapped up a bunch of photos of the graffitti there. We also added some by way of some dinosaur stickers a friend had created. The dinosaurs name is Steve. As it turned out, on our flight back to Perth, I just happed to be seated directly behind Alex Grey and his wife Allison. Alex is an artist who has collaborated on tool's two previous album cover designs, various music videos and other works. My friend got a polaroid of me with them which they then signed for me after I gushed at him about how much I loved his work.

To top it all off I had purchased a ticket to the perth leg of the BDO earlier in the year just incase I was unable to get to Melbourne. The show didn't sell out and being unable to sell the ticket I decided to go along anyway. Good move. Aussie band Children Collide were a fantastic garage rock outfit, Deftones treated me to a lot of songs I'd not heard in Melbourne, everyone put on amazing shows again, but the true highlight for me was running into Dennis from refused in the lilyworld area with one of the beetroots and getting a signature and photo with the two. My atfault bandmates are so jealous.

Needless to say, I have just encountered my largest concerntration of musical acts in my lifetime and have walked away with some sweet memorabillia to show for it

I had managed to take my friend Vez along to see tool for the first time in Perth and I think her impressions some up the whole experience nicely. "That was a lot to process, my brain hurts".

P.s. I had fully intended to add my 10" tom to my set as a full time replacement for my 13" (different sets, more versatility) however I couldn't help but throw my 13" and 8" onto the kit as well and build a ridiculous 8 peice set. I'll be tuning it up today and hopfully record a sound bite for y'all before I strip it back to normal.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

re: The most awesome summer ever.

I hate you, it's winter here in the up over.

Rammstein played in NYC last month at Madison Square Garden. I missed it.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

re: The most awesome summer ever.

Sweet!, it is going to be hard to top that experience. I bet you STILL have a grin on your face.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 AM

Re: The most awesome summer ever.

Indeed I do, also please forgive my shoddy typing. Perth BDO was yesterday and I'm still recovering.

Oh I forgot to talk about Danny's touring set. The thing is a freaking Frankenstein's monster!

He's playing with his custom sonor snare, mandala synth pads and usual array of cymbals, but his drums are a total mishmash. He's got his 2 solid bronse bass drums, a fibreglass 16" floor tom that looks to be about 20" deep, some random 14" floor tom and he's replaced his 2 rack toms with roto toms.

Freaky looking but sounded sweet.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
I hate you, it's winter here in the up over.

Rammstein played in NYC last month at Madison Square Garden. I missed it.
HMMMM, I always thought of you as an Iron Maiden fan.

WHAT NEW BAND????

Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Skinslapper, I'm really happy for you on your touring gigs. As Der knows and you as well, I do kid around at times on the forum. My touring days are over and glad to see how heavy duty your taking all this in.
My hats off to you mate.

Gus, I'm more of a "Sir Lord Baltimore" to helping out my son with Industrial Metal Band type of drummer.

I like all genres of music.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM

New band?

Well despite our current recording situation, the singer from atfault has joined the navy and things have been pretty quiet on that front. So Ive rounded up an old bass playing friend, a new guitar friend and my abundantly lunged wife to form an indie rock outfit called we build pyramids. We're booking some small shows and planning recordings for later in the year. I will keep y'all posted.

Also my guitarists old man was in some successful Aussie bands in the seventies. His name is Barry litten and used to drum for Jimmy and the boys. Youll find some footage on YouTube. He's the one in the leopard print leotard.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

huckster is on a distinguished road

right on brother sounds like you have had quite the ride...awesome ..hat is off to ya...keep it up..hey i'm a us drummer/percussionist tryin to land back on my feet.. caught a infraction after gig several yrs ago in indiana an had to serve time ..just about 10 days out from finishin all my obilgations..looking for touring work or steady work either on set or my percussion rig.. if ya wanna help a fellow brother out send my name about and let me know if anyones needing seasoned vet over 30 plus yrs tourin and performing/( all kinds of music) number here is 317-987-4825 ..i appreciate the word.. anyways much continued succes to you and respect..huck

Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

welshgit is on a distinguished road

thanks for the update skinslapper.............you have been seriously busy, and you mentioned Summer........brightened this bit of Wales, thanks.

Al

Old 02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

You... JOINED the DARK-SIDE, and played the box with strings!