Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

pitt1660 is on a distinguished road

CD skipping

Does anyone else have the problem of your CD skipping when you play your drums to it?I've finally got the perfect setup to play to my CDs and when I start getting even a little heavy it starts jumping around.My CD player is about 20 years old and I'm thinking it might be time to up grade to one made in this century!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Andy B is on a distinguished road

Re: CD skipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt1660 View Post
Does anyone else have the problem of your CD skipping when you play your drums to it?I've finally got the perfect setup to play to my CDs and when I start getting even a little heavy it starts jumping around.My CD player is about 20 years old and I'm thinking it might be time to up grade to one made in this century!
dude cant say I have never had that trouble with cross dressers skipping wile i'm re-hearsing.... it is probably the vibration of the drums or the CD skipping that's causing your CD's to jump tell her/it to stop skipping..and it may cure it. or isolate the Cd player to a location that will be not affected by sudden movements......lol

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

You have two options on this matter.

1. Get a new CD player, the new ones have a much higher over sampling rate than a 20 year old one. That prevents CD skipping.

2. Get a small mpeg player, it has no moving parts and you can store more music into it. I use a little Sansa Player that only costs around $30 and it doesn't change much of the music quality.

I've converted all my CD's to mpeg and I'm very pleased with it. The reason why these CD's skip is due to the wishbone suspension design that holds the Lazar eye in-place and it takes very little vibration to cause the skips. I don't think that even one with a high over sampling rate would do much justice. I have the same problem with the CD player in my car and I use the cassette adapter with my Sansa after paying $300 to replace the radio unit. Also I worked for Ford Motor Company Electronics Division repairing these things. There were lots of complaints from the customers back in the days about this matter. I use Foobar2000 software to convert them and it's free online to download.

So invest on this little item and get rid of this headache before all the prices go up due to what happened in Japan lately.

I'll ask AndyB if he might be interest in my old 5 disc player, he might be interested in yours also.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Tanojin i would nail it to the wall and throw books at it.........man. It could be used for off beat drumming........

Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Tanojin i would nail it to the wall and throw books at it.........man. It could be used for off beat drumming........
I have allot of respect for books. Rocks are cheaper and more effective.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

S.A.L. is on a distinguished road

I use to deal with this aggravation too before changing to digital format.
I still have the old Nakamichi CD/Cassette player I used to jam with; the sticker on the back says it was made in 1986. Anyway, it skips pretty easily so I used to isolate the disc player by placing it on top of (for example) a folded towel. The further away from the drumset the better, too.

I also tried (with success) a jogger's CD player with an Anti-skip feature. The feature stores about 30 seconds of music in front of the point where you are listening. That was 15 years ago.

Best wishes. I suggest using the TDS (towel-dampening-system) until you're able to convert your music to another format. But I am frugal like that.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:06 PM

That's some great advise S.A.L. I also think that a thick layer of foam may work too.

I didn't think of it till you mentioned the towel trick. Thanks for making me think.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Talking Re: CD skipping

Hey dude get one of these babies on top of that cd player and it will sort it out....and make ya playing better like a metronome or something....