Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

Re: Female drummers

I understand that by the numbers, there are probably not as many female drummers as there are male ones. But I tend to NOT see the gender difference these days. There's ALOT of female drummers in my area (SoCal), and ALOT of male drummers too, and they're all talented, or working on getting better, or have careers, or are just getting started....we're all really in this together.

I wouldn't want to hear somebody say "You're great - for a girl". That's like telling me "You're pretty good, despite being so short". I've heard so many good players over the years, it just makes me want to keep up with all of them. They all have something unique to say on the instrument. It's really a cool thing that EVERYBODY likes drums and drumming and can be so enthusiastic about it.

You definitely don't get that from the piano crowd, or the violin crowd....drummers really will befriend other drummers and share stories. I hung out with a bunch of violinists from the local symphony orchestra, and they were all eating caviar and waiting for the lead soloist to die! Somewhat pitiful, I say.

Now that I've said that, a question: Is it just me or does Hannah Ford lack dynamics? I like her, I think she's great, but her YouTube videos come across as slamming (good slamming, I guess). But compared to Terri Lynn Carrington (who was endorsed by Slingerland when she was 12!), Terri just comes across as extremely musical to my tastes. I mean, she studied with Alan Dawson, so maybe that's it. When the performance is mainly slamming, you grow numb after a while, but when I see somebody play like Will Kennedy (or even Terri) using dynamics and drawing you in (Gadd does this as well), it sends shivers up your spine (at least mine, anyway).

Maybe it's just me? Perhaps some of you hardcore Hannah Ford fans can set me straight?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that's Hannah Ford's biggest drawback. She plays loudly -- she doesn't use dynamics enough. I recently heard her group Pandorum play three songs at the Chicago Drum Show, and on only one did she use some dynamics, and really not that much. I'll be seeing her this Saturday at the Elbo Room in Chicago, so I'll get another look.

With all Hannah's special training and opportunities, instructors and drummers must have talked to her about dynamics, so it puzzles me why she's not more into it.

She uses pretty big sticks -- 5B's with a plastic wrap -- and she hammers, hammers, hammers. Why would anyone do that? The person to ask would be John Bonham.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 PM

Are you implying that John Bonham was a slammer too? I think he's one of the more sensitive drummers I've ever heard. Some of the stuff he did live during "No Quarter" or his light grooves in "dazed and confused" or "How many more times" really stand out to me. I think too many people confuse poor John with Animal from the Muppet show, unfortunately (I think Kenny Verrell probably hated the stereotype he helped to create!).

He's way more musical than any of the new crop heavy rockers, I say!

At least I'm not crazy then about what I heard coming from Hannah Ford. Perhaps she'll get it when she's aged some - heaven knows I used to slam alot when I was 20. Somebody should send her some Bernard Purdie albums.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Jazz&ReggaeRock is on a distinguished road

Wasn't Sheena E, the girl who played with Prince, a female drummer, and a good one too!

Well, I'm female.. and I love playing the drums.. I just wish i could find more time to practice.

They really don't seem to WANT females to learn to play the drums though, not sure what that's all about....
Lots of discrimination it seems in music regarding different instruments. I'm still waiting for some mega star on the lead guitar to be a woman!
I wonder if that will happen in my lifetime!
I was just seeing a video of this lady, who's 91, still playing the drums and she's on an oxygen tank too. It was cool...
Hey, if you are still alive at 91, and STILL playing the drums, then life ain't too bad!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Hannah Ford would second your statements regarding discrimination against women in drumming. It's a reality. And with the economic situation getting tougher for all drummers,
I don't see that ending any time soon. Too bad.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 AM

Well, it's Sheila E., to get that right. And yes, she's an awesome musician, she actually made her mark playing percussion for Billy Cobham before she really hit big, so she's been around for quite some time.

On the discrimination thing, personally I've never seen it (for female drummers). It may be out-right sexism, though, where guys just can't handle a female playing drums. At Disneyland, it goes the other way sometimes. They don't hire Top-40 bands that DON'T have a female lead singer (well, there are a couple of all-guy bands).

When I hear people say they're being discriminated against, I sometimes wonder if they're doing everything they could be doing to be an excellent player and human being. Can you sight-read anything thrown in front of you? Is your time bordering on excellent? Are you pleasant to be around? I say eliminate as many technical things that you can before you can start worrying about things you have no control over.

This is music - if you can't get along with anyone to begin with, why would I waste my time playing music with you? If you're first reaction is to scream foul when you don't get a gig and then cry and moan about being discriminated against, then after a while I'm gonna tune you out. That's just human nature, everybody does that.

Sheila E may have a different point of view on this, and I'm sure she has some 'discrimination' stories to tell, but her career now spans at least 35 years, what has she been doing right to continue on her path? Most pro musicians I know have such a positive outlook on life and on what they're doing that it's infectious - I try to be the same way. I want to attract people to me without forcing them to have to be around me.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 AM

Bo,
You my not have seen it because you're not a female. A female would certainly be more likely to see it.

Your third paragraph makes a good point, but you don't know that the females aren't doing that. You seem to assume that they aren't.

As far as your 4th paragraph -- it takes two to get along. Outright sexists are simply not going to get along with female drummers no matter what. You assume the very worst about female drummers in your 4th paragraph. Why?

Hannah Ford, who I have seen play twice, interviewed, and spoken with again this last weekend -- she has the most positive, enthusiastic attitude of any drummer I have ever seen.
Yet if you ask her about discrimination against women drummers, she says it's definitely there.

You are sure Shelia E has discrimination stories to tell. You don't know what they are, but you are more interested in what she's doing to be infectious. Why? Sexism is out there, a reality for women drummers, even the most enthusiastic. Why not face the issue?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 AM

John Bonham was definitely a slammer. He carried bricks on construction sites during his up and coming days. He was mighty strong. He refused to use brushes. He bought the biggest sticks he could find, calling them "trees." He said that drums were made to be hit hard, as did some of the guys who helped him when he was up and coming. In local clubs Bonham was often told to quiet down or stop playing. Clubs would not invite the bands John played with because they knew he was too loud for the customers. If John visited a local club and was asked to sit in on the drums, if he didn't like the drummer he would simply demolish the kit. That was one of his ideas of a good time.

If you don't know John Bonham was a slammer, you don't know John Bonham.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

heather112069 is on a distinguished road

Hi Girls,

I am a girl drumset player too! I have been researching female drumset players and let me tell you , there is not a lot out there. I am currently reading a book on the all girl jazz bands of the 1920's and 30's, just trying to find some roots. Cindy Blackman is my fav modern drumset player.
I don't really question why I play drums, I just do! I only question why more girls do not play drums. There is nothing really masculine about playing drums, or feminine for that matter. It's an instrument and a calling, nothing more and nothing less.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 AM

You've made the assumption that I'm only talking about female drummers. Are you sure about that? No where in the two paragraphs you cited am I stating that this applies to only female drummers. You could be male crying and moaning about some kind of injustice and my reaction would be the same.

Before this gets out of hand, let me apologize if I'm unclear. There are alot of injustices in the world and I take them all seriously. I do not mean to insult anyone in this thread. But when I look at my craft as a profession and a business, I honestly don't see gender as an issue. If I'm the music contractor on a gig, I'm going to hire those that can do what the job requires and can be pleasant and professional for however long we have to be together (some gigs could last for months!).

Could it be possible that because I don't know many female drummers, then I'm not hiring many because I simply don't know them? Perhaps. But in reality I know many, I just tend to hire me first if I'm contracting the musicians and we need a drummer. That doesn't mean I wouldn't - the criteria is the same, you've got to be great (at least better than me {which shouldn't be a stretch for alot of people}) and as an ensemble, I'd like us all to get along and be able to work together - sex doesn't even enter that equation. But as an employer, I need to know who you are, how you react in certain musical situations, because afterall, my reputation is on the line in the end.

And by stating that Sheila probably does have discrimination stories to tell, yet focusing on why her career has gone on for so long, doesn't mean I'm not facing the issue. But if I could ask her, I'd ask her what has she done to circumvent this discrimination? How does she deal with it? If this issue isn't going away, then how do you learn to deal with it? She obviously has. Nancy Wilson from Heart has. Jennifer Batten (former screaming lead guitarist for Michael Jackson) has. Wendy (I forget her last name) the guitarist for Prince and the Revolution has. They all continue to have careers. And there are many females who aren't in the public eye musically that have careers. Are you telling me that it isn't possible for a female to have a career in music just because of her gender? Females are doing it, and they're inspiring others to do it everyday. I think it's great!

I agree that the issue is there, but lots of females are disregarding that memo.

Again, I say the music business is already harsh enough that if you don't have a thickened skin, then you're going to have a real hard time going out there and playing your best.

I apologize if what I'm saying is ruffling some feathers. I'm honestly not trying to do that. I'm just trying to say that you can approach music as a business in a gender-less fashion. Perhaps some aren't quite as enlightened about it, but that's only going to change even moreso in the future, don't you think?