Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

HRPuffnStuff is on a distinguished road

Need Help Buying Mid-Priced Set

Hey, I currently own a 5- piece starter set with a pretty nice pack of Zildjian ZBT's with 14 and 16 crashes and a 20 ride. I was hoping to buy a new midpriced set around $800 with hardware and heads, and keep the cymbals, and have been looking at sets like the Mapex Meridian Birch, Tama Superstar, Pearl Vision, etc. and also noticed that the pearl had a free tom sale. I was hoping to get a 5 piece set with possibly 10, 12, and 14/16 toms but the pearl vision has an offer to get an extra 8" tom with cymbal mount. I was also hoping for a lacquer, not a covered finish. I mainly play classic and soft rock and would like a nice set with low heighth toms to keep them positioned lower. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM

Re: Need Help Buying Mid-Priced Set

Sorry, I forgot I was in the intros section, I moved my topic...

Old 05-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Why don't you try a Gretsch Black Hawk drum set?
They come with hardware,
and cymbal stands and a bass pedal.
It comes in a Jazz format,
Standard set,
and fusion set.
I'll get you a link to it if your intrested.
They also come with sabian cymbals if you want for 100 dollars more.
Without cymbals it's $550
with cymbals, it's $650.
I'm also getting it. I'm also putting my rack tom on a cymbal stand when I get it.
I'm adding on my small floor tom to it to making it a 7-piece kit!
Good luck, and tell me if you want any more info!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:53 PM

How is the gretsch set any better than Mapex's or the Pearl? I know most mid-level sets are similar in quality, but I was looking for something unique

Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

don11817 is on a distinguished road

Hey I like that Infero was steering you toward Gretsch--as I am a HUGE Gretsch fan and getting bigger every time I sit behind my kit-- But I'd say the Blackhawk is a beginner kit, and it sounds like you're looking to step up to a intermediate kit.

So, Gretsch makes a line called Catalina Maple--it is a 6 piece kit, with 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms, which makes it very versatile. The Maple shells are also very versatile, have a nice warm tone and a beautiful wood-grained finish. They have a 45 degree bearing edge (as I recently found out) which makes them have bit sharper attack. The price is right in there with what you're looking at. Gretsch has a reputation for high-quality drums and in this price range the Catalina's have some of the best hardware and are very rugged.

Here's the link for the Gretsch Catalina Maple so you can check em out:
Gretsch Drums Drums

Here is a sweet deal on a Catalina Maple 5-piece + free 16" floor tom with Black Nickel plated hardware and black wood grain shells:

Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion Shell Pack and more Acoustic Drum Sets at GuitarCenter.com.

The next step up in quality (and price) is the Gretsch Renown series, which are available in Maple or Maple lol.... But, they have 30 degree bearing edges, which make the drums sound warmer with a more "round" sound and they sing beautifully. They are truly pro-grade drums and sound amazing. All drums have die-cast hoops which are very easy to tune and tend to make the drums sound better. They come in a 5 piece configuration and are expandable, if you want more pieces you can get them. ( I personally have a 6 piece with an 8" tom added on).

Here's the link to the Gretsch Renown Maple:
Gretsch Drums Drums

Check em out and see how they compare to what else you've looked at. I don't think you can go wrong with Gretsch though...

Old 05-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

don11817 is on a distinguished road

Real quick-- this guy's set is identical to my Gretsch renown--Same heads, same sizes etc.--listen to how this kit sounds recorded... Damn!!! I love my drums...

Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

Damo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Damo Send a message via MSN to Damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRPuffnStuff View Post
Hey, I currently own a 5- piece starter set with a pretty nice pack of Zildjian ZBT's with 14 and 16 crashes and a 20 ride. I was hoping to buy a new midpriced set around $800 with hardware and heads, and keep the cymbals, and have been looking at sets like the Mapex Meridian Birch, Tama Superstar, Pearl Vision, etc. and also noticed that the pearl had a free tom sale. I was hoping to get a 5 piece set with possibly 10, 12, and 14/16 toms but the pearl vision has an offer to get an extra 8" tom with cymbal mount. I was also hoping for a lacquer, not a covered finish. I mainly play classic and soft rock and would like a nice set with low heighth toms to keep them positioned lower. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
The obvious question youll need to ask yourself is "Do I need the extra tom?", If you dont, then as good as the deal may seem, its more than you need and will probably be wasted.

My money would be on a Sonor Force 3007. You should be able to find a whole bunch of them discounted online at the moment. They are lacquered, maple, come in great colours and are very well made.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 AM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

My money is also on the Sonor 3007, but it sounds like you're specifically after Birch wood and short shells so perhaps the vision, Mapex or tama would be better for you.

You gotta get out there try some kits dude, see what you like.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

Damo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Damo Send a message via MSN to Damo

Oh btw, as a shameless self-plug plus demonstration of a Mapex Pro-M in action through a big system - This is what you can expect

Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 PM

THankk,s a bunch guys. I've been checking out gretsch a little more, and this may be a stupid question, but do the catalina( or any) shell packs also come with hardware? Also, I've been checking out the Sonor, 3007, but it seems a little more expensive than my budget of about $800. Also, does the Catalina maple come in a 5-piece, b/c on their site I only see the 6-piece euro kit...