Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

jhilldrums is on a distinguished road

Snare suggestions

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom wood 5.5x14 snare with my kit. I love the 8" deep wood snare. I've also been away from playng for about 20 years. What I want is a nice punch, with a slight high pitch, a bit of a ring with a warm deep tone. I would imagine to keep it warm, metals are out. Anyone have a suggestion on a less expensive snare that offers these sound qualities? Thanks

Oh, and btw, responsive enough for some ghost strokes etc. My 5.5 always has the same sound, no matter how hard or soft you hit it.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

taye drummer is on a distinguished road

Re: Snare suggestions

Please don't say piccolo snare, i really don't think if your been playing for more than three years you need a piccolo, to me that's a beginners snare,To me it dosen't give you a chance to work on your control enough, your tone or volume (FF fortissimo,very loud ,F forte loud,mF
moderately loud,) you get my point.Right now i am in love with my Taye 14" snare basewood
a softer wood than maple open wood grain makes the sound some what warm then they add birch.a wood with maple like density what basswood spreads out birth tightens up,for a great
sound it gives it a warm punchy sound like old school.That what i like in my drums.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 PM

I wouldn't buy a piccolo, way too tinny sounding. I want a deep puch that depth gives you, but the nice bright tone of a smaller diameter. Money is an object, hence my looking for advice from all of you guys. My last nice snare was a recording custom 14X8 Birch. Sensative as a little girl (don't kill me for that one)! But you felt it in your gut too.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 PM

Have you looked at the Steward Copeland signature snare by Tama, it's around $325.00
but there are others also but i would try that one if thats in your price range.If not then we can look at something else.But a good Snare is one of the best foundations you can have. So
i would start there then work on everything else.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 PM

I know it is, but the price is an object, and I'm not playing out etc, but I don't get the response from my current snare. It's a good straight forward drive snare, but when you start adding a few extras, it kinda chokes a bit. Less expensive alternative? Of course used is an option too.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM

have you changed your drum head's?? Try changing your heads, Mabey evans st and a hazy
300 on the bottom, mabey change to fatter snappy's on the bottom see what happens if money's the object try this and see what happens. Sometimes it's just the little things that
can make the difference.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

hitman311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by taye drummer View Post
Please don't say piccolo snare, i really don't think if your been playing for more than three years you need a piccolo, to me that's a beginners snare,To me it dosen't give you a chance to work on your control enough, your tone or volume (FF fortissimo,very loud ,F forte loud,mF
moderately loud,) you get my point.

This is the most ridiculous statement I have heard in my 30 years as a musician.

First off a pic is not a "beginners" snare. I would hazard a guess that Mike Portnoy or Neil Peart are not beginners. It is just another voice you can add to your set up. Secondly working on your control can be done on a practice pad so this is more false information.

To answer this question, as the above poster mentioned, try properly tuning the snare you have and swapping out the 20 strand for a 40 strand snare wire.
Also different heads would most likely make a huge difference. My suggestion is to go to a local shop and try similar drums of the same material as yours with different combinations of heads. It helps to have a patient sales person and go when the shop isn't too busy. Most guys are willing to help you out with this kind of stuff especially if you're going to make a purchase.
Good luck.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 PM

Like i said that was my thoughts,but everyone has them.Does not mean it's write or wrong.
(2) Control issue again my thoughts. Ive been playing for 16 years and sometimes i don't get everything right.Ok now that is said JHILLDRUMS look on e-bay you can find good deals on there. but again thats my thoughts about good deals.But please look on e-bay and see what you find.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

hot a pork pie squealer and see if you like it.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:15 AM

The "lil' squealer" seems to be everywhere. I have about 5 on ebay too. I have tuned and retuned the snare I have and I do like it alot, it just isn't poppy enough. It's not exactly the best one made. That being said, I have a stock bottom with 20 strand, and a remo subdued (can't think of the right word" black dot as a batter. I did try a snare with I beleive an Aquarian head that had a white "dot" and ring that sounded great on a pic snare. As a drummer, I think we all look for a little more and of course money always blows, or I'd buy a big 14X8 Yamaha, or a big Supraphonic! Thanks boys.