Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 03-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

pjwortham is on a distinguished road

Smile Re: Newbe

I have a DW WMP 4 piece. Keller, with 22,12,16, 14 snare. I am all over the map with genre, but mostly P&W, 70-80s British rock, country, pop.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 03:52 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Re: Newbe

Welcome, pj. What kind of information are you looking for?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Not necessarily any one thing in particular. Maybe just some real world differences between birch vs. maple. My DW is/was expensive, and thought that I would be pleased with the sound, but not so much. Probably because I am not "tweaking" something just right. Did not realize how thin the shells were, and just can seem to get them to project like my old Yamaha Stage Customs that cost 1/3 the $.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Excellent focus, pj. I'm gonna let the guys who really know shells speak to that.

But you might want to check out another thread on site here called "High End Drums vs. Mid" which is currently underway.

And moderators, should this discussion of dw shells sound and birch vs. maple be moved out of "Drummer Introductions" to another thread?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

resonut is on a distinguished road

Re: Real world differences between Birch and Maple

This is definitely a subject over a beer. Ive owned two birch kits...one being a Premier Genista and the other a Yamaha recording custom kit. The Genista had a KILLER 18x22'' bass drum and 10''tom, the yamahas were built differently. Due to the bearing edges on the Yamaha that set was dead sounding, brittle, no length to the tone, little low end. The 12 and 16 on the Genista were hopeless. Ive not had good luck with birch. (Generally) speaking birch is more contained, focused. Maple is somewhat boomier, wet sounding, loud drums.

I dont know why but ive always been disappointed in DW drums. Ya know something?....whatever it is dont even ask, let your ears decide. Ive got this Yamaha CD with all of their different drums and the birch toms just KILL!! but the bass drum is hopeless. The Maple bass drum sounded great! on this CD. You sound like youve got a very keen ear, you DEFINITELY need to hear a kit befor buying.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Luke is on a distinguished road

With the newer DW kits you can mix and match woods and shells construction on every drum in the kit. So if you do that in according to what has worked in the past I don't see how it could sound bad. DW makes great drums you just gotta pick what kind of DW is right for you they makes tons of products

Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 AM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

Longer drums can project further and I know DW make a big deal of producing shallower toms these days as most companies do.

And also they are renowned for produceing some of the thinnest shells around. Nothing wrong with that if you like that sound, but it can make them harder to control and focus especially on a well resonating maple set. Bearing in mind that birch will give you the focus but not the projection.

I searched far and wide for the mid-priced maple set with the thickest, most plied shells and came up with the Sonor 3007. Very happy indeed.

Mid-range shells are just as good as High-end. They're just not custom.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Good info skinslapper! Thanks, and tell everyone in Australia that I said hello!!!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 PM

Topsy is on a distinguished road

All the different woods have sonic qualities. Birch has more attack. You lose some lows, good mid range and high range. Mapel has the whole sound spectrum, less attack than birch. Maple warmer. Bearing edges, length of drums all affects projection. Basically, what ever you think sounds good to your ears. The quality of kits manufactured today are all pretty much excellent.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

I have an old groove percussion shell pack, and have no idea what kind of wood they are made of! I checked out the bearing edges and replaced the stock heads with remo black suede emperors and a powerstroke 3 on the kick---10 x 12, 11 x 13, 16 x 16 toms, 5.5 x 14 chrome snare and/or 6.5 x 14 wood snare, 14 x 22 kick. They sound great!!! Low end shells can sound good with the right heads and tuning---even my drum teacher was impressed!!