Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

421stwidow is on a distinguished road

Hello from WA!

Hello fellow Drummers. I came across this site and thought I would check it out. A bit of background. I began playing drums in Iowa in the 6th grade. A Ludwig Chrome Snare with Mr. Wheeler the Music Teacher at that time with my friend Mark. From there I went through band, and like all kids in the 70's saw KISS and Alice and so forth and had the big dream of being a "Rock Star." At that time to the hero from our time in Sioux City was a guitar player named Tommy Bolin. Anyway, like many we starved and played most the songs off the radio and smashed out some Black Sabbath Tunes when we could. I quit playing after that and joined the Air Force and fixed F-16s and A-10s. Years ago I got back into it and bought a small but nice Tama drumset and some Zildjians. Since then it has of course grown to be a monster with over 20+ drums and 14 or so cymbals. The problem no is to get a small set to lug around and play with humans again. I now longer have dreams of being a Rock Star, now days I teach HS and I also publish Aviation history books, but I sure love to play. Hope all has had as much fun as I do. And I do still love the music just as much. I have collected weill over 1,000 CDs, and still turn up Ozzy and Maiden as loud as ever. Rock on guys! Jeff

PS- I did manage to find an old Ludwig Snare in a Pawn shop and did a great job restoring it. Now I just have to do some magic on the hard case.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2010, 06:22 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Hello from WA!

Welcome to DSC 421stwidow.

Since you like Aviation here's a little something for ya:

Floyd Bennett Field Historic District--Aviation: From Sand Dunes to Sonic Booms: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 PM

You sound a bit like my son. He went to Aviation High School and decided to go to college to take up Entertainment Technology.

When he was in Aviation I was working at JFK-IAT as an airport technician and he got more privilages than me. A pilot took him under his wing and took him to the cockpit and showed him how to fly this jet.

Today he's and audio engineer and is really great at it. He plays industrial metal on his guitar and he's got a band that drives me nuts practicing 3 times a week.

Just as I drove my parents crazy when I started play at 8. That was back in 1959.

What goes around, comes around. Payback sort of speaking.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 PM

I wish one of my sons would have either got into music or aviation? Now I am hoping one of the grand kids will get into it. Got to pass on all the music and airplane stuff to someone!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 AM

With me it was my dad that played the harmonica. You know being a mariner and all that. It was an instrument that didn't need to be pluged into an amp.
He also played the xylophone.

With me, it was in my blood being Native so I must have gotten it from my ancestry.

Sometimes it skips a generation. With grand kids, it's a matter of curiousity.

So when they come around, just play the drums and I'm pretty shure they'll be interested in what grandpa is doing.

Remember that there is a kid inside all of us.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 AM

I hear ya there!