Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

ddduey is on a distinguished road

yamaha fying dragon fp dfp 9310

does any one out there play one of these? and was it noisy with the chain on it? i have this pedal and had to put the strap on it, because it made noise with the chain on it. i located the problem. the chain attaches under the front of the foot board so there's metal to metal contact. instead of attaching to an axle that is at the front of foot board. a design flaw? yamaha discontinued that pedal. and their new pedals have the axles or whatever their called on them. anyway just curious if anyone experienced the same problem.
thanks for your time.

ddd

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Re: yamaha fying dragon fp dfp 9310

Thought it was the Direct Drive pedal?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Thought it was the Direct Drive pedal?
no it's not. direct drive came out in 2009 or 2010. the flying dragon was early 2000.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

D, I just searched them and the first thing that popped up for Flying dragons was a DD pedal.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM

well apparently their still calling them flying dragon. if you go on the net and punch up dfp 9310 you will come across a pic of it. and you'll see how the chain is attached under the front of the foot board. the dd pedal solid cast link is attached to what i call an axle on the front of the foot board. but their chain model 9500c has what looks like a rubber grommet around the axle so not to have metal to metal contact. i just think the 9310 was a bad design. i wish i would of done more research on it before i bought it. there's no noise when i use the strap only when i use the chain. and that's because it's metal on metal like i stated before. but i prefer the feel of the chain. oh well live and learn. want to buy a pedal?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

I have seen this pedal before on the net. It's not a DD and I dunno how the first search result you came up with was a DD, but on the shopping results there are plenty of Flying Dragons.

From what I can see in the pictures, you are correct about the cause of the noise. It looks like the pedal was just poorly designed. I've never seen anything like this, because honestly, this pedal is completely stupid. The people who designed and approved this design for production were very careless.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Actually, I just realized, you may have an error in the name of the pedal...

There is a pedal called the Flying Dragon, but there is also a pedal called the Yamaha DFP-9310. The DFP is the double pedal, the FP is the single. The Flying Dragon IS a Direct Drive.

If you don't have a DD, I don't think your pedal is a Flying Dragon. If you did have a Flying Dragon, I don't think you would be having a problem with this because the problem is the chain attached under the footboard on the 9310.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM

fortunately i have a tama iron cobra (which is a great pedal)to use. i still like yamaha stuff. but i do think tama makes better hardware. and of course theirs other drum mfg that make great stuff. anyway the new yamaha pedals look like their designed much better. hey you think if i called yamaha drums corporate they might excahange how might pedal?........fat chance. haha

Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM

oops on my part on the fdp. it is an fp 9310. and if you scour the net it's advertised at some places as a flying dragon fp 9310.and other places it's just fp 9310. there's a you tube video(and we all know you tube is the final word) hehe. and the guy is reviewing his pedal and it's just like mine and he calls it the flying dragon. so apparently in some circles it's a fd and others it's not. so who's to say. but it doesn't change the fact that it's a poor design. so buyer beware!