Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Drums on a trip

Hey all, I found out last Saturday that I am moving to Pennsylvania in 4 months. I don't want to go, but you know, whatever.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to ship my drums. The company insures anything that THEY pack, so I'm not allowed to do much other than maybe supervise and direct a little bit during the packing. I will break everything down and get stuff as ready as possible, but I'm super worried. I know some of you guys have shipped your maple and birch lives, so you can imagine my apprehensiveness at the first time. I don't know how to ship drums.

Should I try to get some inside of each other? Should they be separated by just bubble wrap? or something more?

Or should I try to make sure each drum is individually packed? When I first got them, some were inside each other and some were not. Should I remove all the rims and put them in a separate box? or just put them on the drums and tighten them sufficiently?

What about my cymbals? I'm less worried about them, but is there anything I can do?

Hardware? Again, less worried than with the shells, but I gotta ask.

I'm glad to know that even if my drums go down in a plane crash and burn or off a cliff in a semi, I am promised new ones of the same specs and stuff, but I really want to make sure that I do everything I can to avoid any damage in regular shipping.

Any advice?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Drums on a trip

I have SKB drum cases and bags for my hardware. But their pricey.

Check out this site for some tips, also get some extra insurance:

eBay Guides - How to Pack and Ship Drum Sets and other Large Boxes

Old 01-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Still have time to buy cases on (E-bay)?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Humes & Berg Galaxy Drum Bag / Case Set (GLS9) : Memphis Drum Shop sells Craviotto, Brady, Ludwig, Pearl, DW, Yamaha, Gretsch, Rogers, Canopus, Tama, Joyful Noise, George H Way, Sakae, Noble & Cooley, Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Meinl, Hammerax, Istanb

Then the 16", also stack the 10 & 14, 12 & 16 together like ebay suggested.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the eBay link. That will probably answer most of my questions once I have time to read it.

I definitely have time to buy cases. I don't know whether I will, but that is a great idea and I can't believe I didn't think of it. I need cases anyway. That is a pretty good price, too. Only about $160-170 for 6 cases.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

It's only 7 steps, not the 12 steps that some people have to go through.

3. How to pack your item

Here I will focus on packing a drum set. This is usually the most complicated item to pack, and techniques used here can be used in most other items.

Find supplies:first and foremost a box and packing supplies need to be found. This is largely up to the seller's discretion, and in general, don't expect to be compensated for purchased supplies, as adding $10 fees to the shipping cost even if that is how much the box cost, will not be acceptable to a buyer, and may hurt DSRs.
The same goes with supplies like bubble wrap and tape.

As a general rule, keep all of the boxes (and packing material) you receive if you buy items on ebay or through other websites, as reusing these will save money.

In some cases purchasing a new perfectly-sized box instead a used slightly-too-large box will save money. After choosing a courier to use, it might be worth experimenting with the company's Estimate Shipping Fees option, manipulating variables such as size and weight.
This also applies when deciding whether to use old newspapers or shredded paper as packing material or buying bubble wrap.

I recommend using bubble wrap when possible. It provides more protection than most other options and is also lighter than most other options. The downside is that if you don't already have it on hand, it can be pretty expensive.

What size box? - Try to use boxes 2"-4" larger in each dimension than the product going in the box.
-For a 14"x5" Snare drum, a 16"x16"x8" may be perfect. If it has bulky hardware, 10 lugs, or a parallel strainer mechanism, an 18" box might be ideal.
-For shipping drum sets internationally: the largest box possible to ship through USPS International Priority Mail is 24"x24"x18" or a 22"x22"x20"

Safe and Secure: The goal of packing the item is:
1. For the package to arrive safely with no shipping damages to the item.
2. To minimize shipping costs as much as possible.
One way to do this when shipping a drum set is to take the rims and heads off of each drum and then pack drums inside of each other.

Supplies used for packing a drum set are similar to the general guidelines outlined previously, with some important additions.
-Judge the size of the box needed by the bass drum dimensions. For this discussion our hypothetical drum set will be a 3-piece with sizes 22"x14", 13"x9" and 16"x16". If heads and rims are included with the drum set it might be best to add an extra 2" to the height of the box in the Box Size rule.

If drums have a spread of 3" or more in diameter, they are usually packable inside of eachother. (Remove tom mounts if necessary, as they are sometimes too bulky for drums to fit) So a 22",13",16" drum set will all fit in one box.
So a 24"x24"x18" would be perfect for this drum set, and would meet all international shipping guidelines.

Step 1.
Remove heads and hoops from all drums that will have another drum going inside of it. In this case that means the 13" drum heads do not need to be removed if it can fit inside the 16" drum.
Put all small parts (tension rods, misc) into a separate bag.
In some cases the hoops/rims can go right back on the drum. Just be sure to tape them on by placing a piece of tape from the interior over to the end of a lug to hold on at least two sides of the drum to hold the rim in place.

Step 2.
Cover the exterior of each drum in one layer of bubble wrap (more if neccessary, like around a bulky or sharp piece). Bubble wrap should be taped together and secure to the drum.
Once all pieces of small hardware are in the bag, tie the bag shut, and cover with bubble wrap.

Step 3.
Now after placing 1-2 layers of bubble wrap and/or a small layer of foam peanuts on the buttom of the box, place all of the drums in the box - 22" first, 16" inside that, and 13" inside that.

-place the bag of hardware on top of the 13" tom if it will fit (you should have about 7" of space on top of the 13" tom head)
-Also, cover any floor tom legs, spurs, and/or tom mounts in bubble wrap and place them in corners of the box (the circular bass drum will leave a good amount of space in each corner of the square box)
Step 4.

Fill in all the leftover space between and around drums with packing material. Foam peanuts are perfect for this step.

Step 5.

One the peanuts or packing material come to the brim of each drum, place the drums on the tops of each drum. Smallest heads first, largest heads last. This way all of the packing material is sealed inside each drum and the heads nest in a way as to minimize space.

-Add peanuts/other packing material on top of drums with drumheads as needed.

Step 6.

Place layer of bubble wrap on top of the bass drum heads, and fill in any gaps, making sure everything is secure and there is no movement, and there are no loose pieces of hardware floating around.

-Instead of filling more packing material if there is still space between the bubble wrap on top of the bass drum and the top of the box, you can cut each edge with scissors to the level of the top bubble wrap to minimize box size.

Step 7.

Seal up the box with tape. Either schedule a pickup through your chosen courier, or drive it there yourself.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Andy B is on a distinguished road

Bubble Wrap them and boxes with that crap they stick in parcels that stuff that blows all over the place and also most important and right fragile on them or drop this and i will kill you in case they put them next to a fridge or something and it falls over....face it removal guys are big gorilla types who don't have a gentle touch...they are under paid and over worked so respect them and give a good tip.........if its a long journey