Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

JoeyTheSnake is on a distinguished road

Gig Stories

I found a site for working musician stories called Gig Anecdotes | Crazy gig stories, and the lives of working musicians. They have a 'drummer' section.. and sections called 'property damage' , 'nudity' , 'musical travesties'

I don't think I'm getting anything else done today.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Buddy is on a distinguished road

Re: Gig Stories

nice

Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Andy B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTheSnake View Post
I found a site for working musician stories called Gig Anecdotes | Crazy gig stories, and the lives of working musicians. They have a 'drummer' section.. and sections called 'property damage' , 'nudity' , 'musical travesties'

I don't think I'm getting anything else done today.
Chesney Hawks now there is a travesty

The one and only

Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 AM

Andy B is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Gig Stories

A true Story 1993 I once arrived at a gig with no cymbals and no drum sticks...
We used to travel to the gigs in a 47 seater bus converted with all the gear in the back end....Trouble was at last rehearsal i left my cymbal bag with my sticks in the guitarist front room....and forgot to put them back in the bus....so how did i get through the night of 3 hours entertainment. ...
first i phoned around to see if there was a studio or resident drummer i could lend some off it was too far to go back and get the cymbals as it was a 2 hour tip to the venue...I looked on the parcel shelf of the bus and found some old worn but usable sticks and a tamberine ....what i did.... i gaffa tapped ( ) the tamberine to my hi-hat stand.....so all my accents, crash's everything was done on the Tamberine and believe it or not we did the show and got a return booking they loved the set so there ya go.........i was bricking it mind but i got through it gained some experience and never forgot my cymbals ever again ........................

Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

JoeyTheSnake is on a distinguished road

Looks like they finally started updating again last week, about 15 new stories so far

Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

cyberdyke is on a distinguished road

Back in 1980 I had just graduated from HS and was living at home and playing in a power trio. I was pretty naive in those days, and the other guys in the band were older and in the Military. We were at this gig one Friday night in a biker bar right next door to the State Police precinct. We must have been in the middle of our second set the place was on fire and from my view point looked like standing room only. Suddenly all hell breaks loose and people are running every which way, the guys physically removed me from the stage, whisked me out the back door, stuffed me inside the van and told me to keep my head down and stay there until they came back. WTF????? I'm sweating it, cause I think its a drug bust and my Mom is going to find out and go ballistic. Sometime later they returned and said we were done for the night - but way its like only 10pm??? On the 3 hour drive back home the story finally came out: someone had been shot dead, but the shooter had gotten away. PANIC: we have to play there tomorrow night, what if the guy comes back!!!
By the time we came back the next night I was told the actual story: It was a hit, one biker took out another point blank as he walked into the bar. True story

Last edited by cyberdyke; 03-15-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

mattsmith is on a distinguished road

I thought it was great how you guys ignored the spamming threadstarter and just continued with your own interesting thread based on his original premise...well done.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Maninblack is on a distinguished road

Back in 1983 I was playing in a pseudo-punk (Goth before Goth had been invented) band involving a violin, bass, drums and guitar. We had a gig in a respectable wine bar in an industrial town in the North of England. Halfway through our set I noticed the crowd swell which is good for the ego but then I realised that the sudden influx was 30+ drunken coalminers on a night out.

For the next few songs they increasingly baited the other customers about their hair and make up etc. then one of them tried to take the bass player's instrument from him.

A short tussle ensued through which i feverishly continued drumming whilst the bassist regained his instrument.

Thirty seconds after this there was an almighty BOING! and I looked up to see the bass played swinging his instrument like Conan The Barbarian as he laid into the coalminers. From the corner of the room came my older brother, who always liked a good fight, and panned another couple so i thought I would join in.

A pair of 5a sticks make a very effectvie impromtu cosh as I set about some more of them. The guitarist was last seen leaping both feet first over the monitor and into the fleeing miners.

We got a bigger round of applause for the fight than we did for the music which probably indictaes why I am not a professional musician.