Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

putrefieddrinkingwater is on a distinguished road

drummers who read music.

does anybody know drummers(in the metal community esp. technical death metal) who can read sheet music?
pls post reply..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

MaximusDukusErectus is on a distinguished road

Re: drummers who read music.

Mu son.....he is 10 almost eleven and he bangs those skins so loud......well it echoes like death.lol...Thought I would reply since you had no hits yet to put a smile on your face.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Thomas Haake has to be able to. I've never read anything about it, but theres no way he doesn't. Either that or he learns his songs by ear bar by bar. I think it's probably a combination of that and sheet music, though. Anybody know how he writes his parts?

IMO, there is a difference between being able to READ sheet music, and being able to USE sheet music. Being able to use it, or understand it, is absolutely necessary for anybody trying to get work as a studio musician or something. Otherwise it's just helpful if you need the skill. If you're lucky enough to get work writing your own parts, there isn't much point in learning to read sheets unless it's just for personal interest. It might provide some gain, but if you aren't required to learn from sheets it probably won't help a lot.

I'd say any drummer who isn't an original member of the band he is in is able to read (at least use) sheet music. Possibly by necessity of joining the band, but they learned regardless.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

putrefieddrinkingwater is on a distinguished road

@butter..
yeah. i think so..freedom to express art is limited when you use sheet music in drumming.but it's interesting to learn sheet.it's good to be professional

Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

professionalism. Exactly.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

rt55 is on a distinguished road

Reading is just another tool to have at your disposal. One use for that tool is to learn new material for cover bands. Listen to the recording, jot down the organization of the song, and key figures, and you save yourself time and effort down the road, not to mention being consistent in playing your part in rehearsal.

Not being able to read limits what kind of playing you can do. A non-reading drummer will have a hard time doing session work, or sitting in with a big band... which is about the most fun you can have behind a set of drums. It's a shame that more good drummers lack reading skills. We want to be taken seriously as musicians, yet so many of us disregard one of the essential skills of a serious musician.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

ed68bogus is on a distinguished road

I have done gigs for bands who have given a demo tape prior to one rehearsal prior to the gig. Because I can read music I was able to quickly jot out what I call cheat sheets. The guys in the band were blown away by how seemlessly I was able to play through the set list as though I'd been playing it for years.
Similarly I played in a few Big Bands (jazz) where each song is scripted. If you haven't already I recommend reading through some jazz drum scores ideally whilst listening to the original track. On the whole it's just rythm indicators followed by the number of bars. This is laced with brass fills and licks that enable you to emulate these as your fills.
Listen closely to the great jazz drummers and you'll hear how tight the drum fills and brass fills/stabs emulate each other. This is not done pure chance.
This to me is proof that it is essential for a drummer to be able to read, understand and pen, especially if their ambition is to play with not only multiple bands but in multiple genres.
Very few drummers have the luxury of creating their own drum tracks so if all you want to do is play "Jam Alongs" adlibbing, which I admit I thoroughly enjoy myself, then fine but just pray you don't get a call at short notice to cover for a well rehearsed band, whatever the genre.

My personal opinion is any drummer who tells you that the ability to read music is not necesary or takes away from the creativity of the drummer is probably a drummer who has never and will never be able to read music (unless they take the time to learn).

N.B. The route to a good drummer is rudiments, rudiments, rudiments. If you can sight read a set of technical rudiments you'll progress through the excerscises a lot quicker and be content in the fact that you are practicing excactly as the author intended.

Hope this makes

Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

ianh105 is on a distinguished road

Reading music for drums is these days for those have no imagination or ability to sort out what they need to play in this heavy metal genre. You really need to feel this, rather than be told what to do from a list of instructions from a set of dots. Reading is just an aid to memory, great if your doing a session or theatre pit job where rehearsal time is money.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

Reading music may not be necessary, but anyone who says it limits creativity must be a non-reader! I learned to read music about the same time that I learned to read words, and it has helped me understand why the music works! I also learned to play piano at a young age, which led to an even better understanding of the music! Knowledge is power!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

ianh105 is on a distinguished road

Ok, let me clarify exactly what I mean. There are some musicians who always read, never play by ear, never learn to improvise and feel secure with their dots in front of them. One such guy I know, a classical pianist I was at college with, was asked to play a jazz piano solo in a song we were playing. He was ok playing the chords on the sheet but when it came his turn to improvise a solo, nothing happened, he couldn't deliver, he had always played using dots. He could play without music but he had memorised these pieces from the actual part never making any attempt to put his own twist on it. As a reader myself, I used to cast the dots aside when I played in theatre pit bands, once I had memorised the part. Many of us felt we played better without the dots. I guess I didn't make scenario clear in my previous comments. Sorry for any misunderstanding.