Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Re: Snare Buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
A Lesson On Reducing Snare Buzz By Bob Gatzen

A Lesson On Reducing Snare Buzz By Bob Gatzen - YouTube
My idea exactly.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Dr RealGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by altedman View Post
Hi folks,
I have a new drum kit, a Pearl Vision 6 piece. After setting everything up I noticed that when I hit the 10" rack tom I get a buzzing sound from the snare. What can I do to get rid of this annoying buzz? Thanks for your help and ideas.

Larry

If you like how all the drums are tuned, then I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds annoying when you just play the one drum, but when you are playing the whole kit it all blends together.

The hardest part to grasp when tuning or making adjustments to your drum kit is the fact that you sit behind it. You can make the drums sound just the way you like them when you are playing them, but go stand 30 feet away in the audience and add a full band and I bet you change the way you feel about it...

Old 10-21-2011, 04:40 AM

drumsagogo is on a distinguished road

that's a very relevant point; so much time effort and of course money is spent on activities/things related to sound, often at the behest of marketers, when its dubious at best whether the punter can tell the difference.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
My idea exactly.
Now don't go spreading rumors that I stole that from you. We all exchange ideas in this great forum.

I confess, old friend.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:24 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsagogo View Post
that's a very relevant point; so much time effort and of course money is spent on activities/things related to sound, often at the behest of marketers, when its dubious at best whether the punter can tell the difference.
Now don't make me start my $5 college words. I already used up $2.68 worth.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Ever since I read the post I've been listening more carefully to recorded music with great drummers to hear how much snare buzz is happening. I guess it's not a surprise to others but I didn't realize the extent to which the pros change up the sound of their kit (probably change kits for that matter) depending on the song. The buzz adds a liveliness to the kits for jazzier songs. For the fusion, latin and rock songs a lot of drummers opt for more muted, distinct tom sound with clear, distinct notes and no snare buzz at all.

The other thing I noticed is the huge difference in sound between metal and wood snares. I've added a wood snare to my wish list. The answer is to have both in my kit, I think. The "crack" from my metal snare needs to be filled with a "tock" from a wooden snare.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Interesting, gives rise to a couple of thoughts. I had a Sig Series Sonor bronze snare for nearly 20 years, weighed 15 kilos. What I realised when I sold it, was that it wasn't the metal sound I wanted but the wooden sound. I've experimented with metal snares, mostly aluminium, but have decided to sell them off as well and just settle on wood, more specifically, vintage sounding snares, such as the Keller Products Vintage Mahogany and Vintage Maple, both of which have Poplar in them.

I'm not a studio or stadium player, so snare buzz is pretty much a thing for my own ears. I'm sure that most of the time its heard positively (by my ears and others) as part of the overall sound of the kit. I certainly don't want to change the tuning on my toms to get rid of it (if that was the cause), not least of all because it will change the stick response, but others would choose to take that approach.

I imagine there is a world of difference between live and studio equipment 'tampering', both directly with the drums and in the engineering/technology/production of the sound.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

ed68bogus is on a distinguished road

Don't like to preach but I have been reading a lot of people having different opinions on tuning and the do's and dont's but feel a simple explanation may help you and other people out a lot.

A drum is designed to give you a rich, toneful sound and this is created by the positioning of two heads stretched evenly over the drum shell. The 2 drum heads then resonate at the same frequency to produce that beautiful sound. If your heads are tuned perfectly your drum will sing. This said some drummers prefer a looser or tighter bottom. Personally I believe you are not getting the full sound out of your drum (what a waste of a beautifully crafted 8 ply maple work of art) as this actually dampens your tone (i.e. the heads don't resonate off of each other as they are designed to do) and also gives a slight glissando affect to the tone.

When you tune your toms each one will have its own resonent pitch (the speed at which the air in your drum vibrates), the better tuned you have your drums the stronger this resonent is. What you will be experiencing with your snare buzz is that the tom that creates the buzz is resonating at a very similar, if not the same pitch that your snare heads are set at, the closer the pitch the more buzz you will get, simple as that

To resolve this you will just have to alter the pitch of either the snare drum itself or the guilty tom.

You may never get rid of the buzz entirely but IMO follow the guidelines above and take time to research how your snares should be best set up (video above I think) and you should not have an issue.

N.B. Be aware that that buzz sounds bad when your playing on your own in your basement but get behind a band in a gig environment and that buzz will pale into insignificance. I played orchestral and for a lot of the time you are counting long rests and when there's a hundred or more musicians resonating at different pitches my snare would sing along at it's leisure. Just something we have to live with I'm afraid but as I say, with a little understanding of what is causing it and sometime tuning your drums to pitch can make it a lot less painful....

Enjoy.....

Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Maninblack is on a distinguished road

Snare buzz is due to sympathetic vibration. Everything has a natural resonant frequency; the problem is that snare wires have a fairly wide range of resonation plus there is also the resonant frequency of the lower head as an extra buggerance factor.

You cannot tune out snare buzz totally as during a gig something will come close and make it buzz.

It is easiest to tune or detune the lower head and adjust the tension of the snare wire slightly to get them into an area that doesn't resonate except when the band is playing at full chat; then nobody can hear it anyway.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 PM

yep, I found the Equaliser works well but in the end I found the snare was too dry sounding, but worth experimenting with; I had a Sonor Sig Series bronze snare with a Sonorlite kit for about 18 years, no buzz; changed snares, plenty of buzz; eventually thru a process of experimentation and getting used to different sounds, I solved the problem; it can also be worthwhile experimenting with different heads on your snare, some of the thicker heads coming out these days rather than the double ply can have satisfying results