Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 12-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

oldschool is on a distinguished road

Large kick/bass drums:live

I've been a drummer 35+ years,professionally for 20,working with what i would consider some of the best rockers in history,one hall of famer, and the rest time will tell. I have great tech's in the studio, but on the road in my opinion,could be in better company. Outside of hiring my own i've been handed some real iffy at best drum techs,making swiss cheese out of the front skin trying to find that so called "sweet spot" with the mic.,i travel with all sizes of kicks 22"-32". Does anyone have suggestions on what works best for mic placement and mallet height on the larger sizes,say 26"& up? Tommy Lee's tech tells me internal but all others seem to be scattered as to what sounds best,i've even triggered the mallet side to compensate,but then it drives the sound techs even crazier ! Do i invest in a new mic or scream for new techs ? currently i'm using older Audio Technics which i've deemed very reliable. Please help keep my sanity !

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Re: Large kick/bass drums:live

I don't have an answer for you oldschool, I just wanted to say hi and I'm glad you still check into the forum once in a while like me. I will be interested in whatever feedback you get.

I saw an ad in a drum magazine for an external bass drum mike that looked like a large flying saucer that took up about a quarter of the head. It looked very expensive. I don't remember the name. I wonder if it does a good job.

Simon Phillips says he uses an internal mike but with a reso head with no hole in it. How would that work? Do you drop the mike cable through the air hole in the drum before you put the reso head on?