Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

nigelfrazer is on a distinguished road

Are bass drum 150bpm 8th notes considered fast or difficlult? Arrrrrgh!!!

Why does my right foot not want to play 150bpm 8th notes? 3 in a row on the &of2 the3 &of3 in the second measure of a simple 4/4 rock groove!! How easy does it get, haha!

It's weird that I just can't get on top of this after 2 years, it's a groove I laid down for one of our bands original songs.

I reckon it's something in my head so I'm looking for ideas on how to break a bad pattern I've somehow learnt along the way, it's starting to do my head in after hours of practise on this very simple rock beat.

The groove is about as simple as they come and it's played over two measures...
Hi-hat constant 8th notes
Snare on the 2 and the 4
Bass first measure 1 &of2 3 &of4
Bass second measure 1 &of2 3 &of3 &of4

Over the last 2yrs I've been practising this groove working from 110-150bpm going up in 5bpm increments, trying heel down, heel up, heel toe, slide, twist and on 5 different pedals and my foot still starts misfiring at 135bpm. Sometimes it plays sweetly but mainly I can't get it to work with any consistency at all and it's starting to do my head in :-o

I'm 99% sure that I've wired my brain to screw it up consistently. Three tutors and countless youtube lessons and various books have failed to break my learnt pattern, I've tried all kinds of relaxation techniques, changing the beat unexpectedly to try and trick my brain, watching tv while I'm practising, high seat, low seat, leaning back, leaning in, staring at nice pictures on the wall, staring out the window, concentrating intensely, relaxing intensely, you name it I reckon Ive tried it but after 2 years and almost zero progress beyond 135-140bm I'm totally confused.

Are 150bpm 8th notes considered fast? I wouldn't have thought they were that fast and shouldn't be that difficult to master, or are they? I really don't know, all Ive been told is practise practise practise but surely 2years with this simple groove would seem excessive to me but maybe I'm wrong.

Anybody else had similar issues with relatively simple stuff? So, come on guys and gals who's got a pearl of wisdom for me?

The pedals I've used range from Demon Eliminator to a cheapish Mapex P320 but I seem to have psyched myself into thinking I can't play this beat now no matter what pedal I use or what technique I play, haha!

Incidentally I have absolutely no problem playing this beat at this tempo with just my foot tapping on the floor no matter what technique I use, heel down, heel toe etc etc.

Input appreciated :-)

Last edited by nigelfrazer; 07-11-2012 at 12:26 AM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Re: Are bass drum 150bpm 8th notes considered fast or difficlult? Arrrrrgh!!!

Wow this really has you twisted up.

I would say that your head has a part in this problem for sure. Are you playing to a click track or just keeping tempo in your head?

Typically this is a problem with the left foot for most drummers (myself included many years ago) and really the only way to overcome it is to make the brain stronger with exercises. I overcame my dragging foot by tapping beats to music I was listening to (snare, toms and cymbals as well as the bass drum) with my feet. To this day I can play Tom Sawyer entirely with my feet.

Another thing that might help is to play your steady eighths without music and then work in the bar before and when you have that down the bar after. Continue that until you are smooth in and out of your problem spot.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

nigelfrazer is on a distinguished road

Re: Are bass drum 150bpm 8th notes considered fast or difficlult? Arrrrrgh!!!

It's got me twisted up all right, I just can't figure it out.

Many thanks for your reply, and yes I play to a metronome most of the time and I practise within just the bar itself a lot too. Generally I don't play through measures with just my foot tapping out the notes so that's something I will start working on.

Funny thing is I can play this groove on my weak foot (left) without too much of an issue if I use my double pedal, but that's not a long term solution for me.

I agree with you it definitely appears to be a problem in my head and the reason it's got me so confused is that it's now been 2 years with hardly any noticeable improvement, once I hit 135bpm it starts to come unravelled. Very strange indeed.

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment, much appreciated.