Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

Re: Double Stroke on the pedals?

I see your point---I have no real interest in jazz, so I will continue practicing heel up---it feels more natural anyway! thanks again

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

MelodicMutation is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
I see your point---I have no real interest in jazz, so I will continue practicing heel up---it feels more natural anyway! thanks again
Yup! A lot of guys who play heel up recommend at least having some practice with heel down though as well. It's good to have a diverse range of techniques so that you can pull out the dynamics you want!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

I have spent the last 30+ years on my feet for work, so my ankles have seen better days!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

I've never had a problem achieving power with heel down, but like I said, I can't get the speed I need sometimes.

I find that heel down allows more control than heel up, but maybe that's just me.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
I've never had a problem achieving power with heel down, but like I said, I can't get the speed I need sometimes.

I find that heel down allows more control than heel up, but maybe that's just me.
That's interesting to hear! Are you only using your ankle/the top of your foot when playing heel down? If so, the only reason I'd say heel up is better for power is because you are putting your entire leg into the stroke. More weight, more power. Plus, using larger muscle groups take longer to tire out, especially if you train them regularly.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

I agree with that, I think what I mean is that it's easier to get power with heel up, but heel up isn't necessary for power.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

I've only ever used heel down technique. It feels very grounded and comfortable. You can still achieve speed and power. But it's true, the main advantage is control over the attack of the beater so you can play quiet beats too. I don't really understand how you heel-up guys stay balanced on your stools. Doesn't your back ache?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland59 View Post
I've only ever used heel down technique. It feels very grounded and comfortable. You can still achieve speed and power. But it's true, the main advantage is control over the attack of the beater so you can play quiet beats too. I don't really understand how you heel-up guys stay balanced on your stools. Doesn't your back ache?
Interesting, I've yet to spend too much time with heel down to feel like I could really own it. But yeah, balance is a huge key factor in being able to play fast while heel up. But for that same reason, I have my seat adjusted so that my thighs are actually pointing towards the ground, not parallel like they normally teach. This allows me to sit very tall, which I love, as well as have a much easier time keeping balance as my stool is now holding me up and in place.

Naturally, trying to learn awkward double bass riffs will throw your balance skills for a run until you really start to develop the fundamentals of remaining in balance. A lot of it has to do to with your coordination skills and how comfortable you are with putting certain limbs together.

As for back problems, that is another big thing you have to be careful about with heel up. It tends to make us lean over the kit and stress our lower backs. So long as you train to sit tall and straight you shouldn't have any problems though!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

Hey Slingerland! Like I said, I have always played heel down until recently, but one of the biggest things that kept me from switching for so long was the balance thing. I don't know what I did that made it easier to balance, but one day it just worked better and now I'm fine.

I tend to sit a lot further away from the set than most guys, so I think that made it hard for me to balance. I'm definitely aware of that and I try to sit closer, just because I really do sit way too far back. It may be that I've been getting closer and that is improving my balance, but I couldn't say for sure.