Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drumsticks, Drum Heads, and Hardware

Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Maninblack is on a distinguished road

Chord Drum Pedals

Chord is a fairly recent entrant to the instrument and accessory market in the UK. They have a wide range of products including some bass pedals. They do a low-mid priced double chain single pedal and a similar double pedal. They look quite well made, I can't see any obvious corner cutting.

They have snaffled a few of the features of the Iron Cobra pedal family for a lot less money.

Has anyone here played one? Seen one?

They are starting to appear on Ebay as well as in independent music shops. I may risk one next week as my old Pearl pedal, (a low end Export pedal) has pretty much died and will report back if noone has any comments.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Re: Chord Drum Pedals

As mentioned before I was considering trying one of the new Chord bass pedals. I would give you the model number but as they only do one design, in single or double configuration, I can't find any evidence that it has a model number; even the box was just plain brown.

So, to the pedal. The baseplate, around which everything revolves, is 1.5mm press formed steel with a black paint finish. The edges are rolled to a height of about 8mm and there are two half round grooves pressed into the flat surface during manufacture to improve rigidity. Compared with some very high end pedals which feature cast or forged baseplates this is a cost saving feature but it is strong and totally rigid so is fit for purpose.

The heel plate is machined aluminium with a curved upper surface and drilled horizontally at the front to form half of the hinge. The footplate is cast and machined aluminium with a decent grip pattern and two heavy lugs to the rear machined to form the other half of the hinge. Again this is strong and more than adequate for the job. To the front is toe stop which is held on by the same screw that retains the chain connector.

The two uprights are part of a single U shaped casting, again aluminium, which holds the bearings at the top, the clamp at the bottom. The clamp is a slightly complex little beastie featuring a front and rear setting screw mechanism controlling the forward and backward roll of the clamp jaw.Actuation of the clamp is from the side via a nickel plated T screw which raises an arm to effect the lock of the clamp. Once set up it works well. If you were playing a different drum kit every night this would be a minor pain in the posterior but for normal one or two kit drummers it is good and makes for a swift install and remove.

Both upper arms feature a decent bearing for a smooth operation and the hexagonal cross shaft is about 8mm steel, chrome plate finished. On the right hand upright is an adjustable position cam with a geared lock mechanism. This is engaged with a Tama style M6 share head bolt (drum key pattern) The spring is a DW style tapering piece with top and bottom loops. Tension is via a normal bolt arrangement and works very well with a good range of tension settings.

The drive is a double chain with the chains running over a soft polymer lining at the front of the top cam which deadens any sound. The only sound in operation is an occasional small click as the spring moves. You can hear this if you operate the pedal by hand on the table but not when operating it with your foot. This is a silent pedal. The beater and chain locks are, like the position adjustment, operated with the Tama M6 bolt. The beater supplied has 4 faces, two are convex felt of different orientations plus a hard concave and a hard convex face. The beater also comes with a nice little counterweight. Whether this serves any purpose I am not sure but the 100 plus pedals have one so this pedal has one.

How does it play? The answer to that is that it plays like a well built, silent, multi-adjustable pedal should play. It is fast, responsive and once set up could become a favourite toy.

The manufacturer has saved money in a couple of areas which make it clear that it is not an Iron Cobra, but, to paraphrase the old computer descriptions, it is a very good Iron Cobra Compatible and will save you 100 compared with the real thing. UK price, around 34, at utter bargain.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

I've never heard of the company, but it sounds like a solid pedal!! Do you have pictures? I may search it.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Here is what I found on the Chord KP11 kick pedal:

Chord KP11
The Chord KP11 is a heavy duty kick drum pedal with KPB1 beater. Cast pedal and frame with rolled steel and rubber base and adjustable rim grip. Dual chain drive mechanism has adjustable spring tension, beater angle and stem length.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 PM

That's the badger.

The company website page is here

Chord : Product : Percussion : Drum Hardware : 176.220UK

Old 10-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

It looks like a nice pedal. I would think once the popularity on it picks up the price will follow.

Let us know how it works as time progresses.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 PM

I was looking at an Natal pedal yesterday and that was another class altogether but it was a lot noisier action. I liked the sub-spring under the footplate but noise noise noise.

I will be gigging with the pedal on 25th so I'll report back then.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM

I gigged the pedal for the first time last Thursday, we were booked to do a 30 minute slot in a multi band event. We played about 7 songs which varied in tempo form melodic (a turgid Radiohead cover) to furious "sweating like a paratrooper in a spelling test" stuff.

In spite of the house drumkit having a loose batter head the pedal handled it well, perhaps I should have turned the tension up a bit but I have watched the gig on youtube and for a rough first gig for a band it is okay. The pedal stays, it has earned its place.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

How would we find the YT clip? Do you mind if we watch?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Sorry for the long wait, I have been very busy with work and life.

The link to the gig is here
The recording is not HiFi as it takes a feed from a mic in the room with poor balance and there is no sound check anyway.

I have now had the pedal for a year and done quite a few gigs with it and the only niggle I have is locking the tension on the spring. It is a fairly normal set up of a vertical spring with the bottom ending in a thread passing through the frame with a nurled fastener below and a nut above to lock off. I have to reset this occassionally as they work loose. I think I will set it up again propperly then Loctite the nut. if not that then I need to get abother m4 nut to form a locking pair.

I can say that for the price this really is a remarkably good pedal with lots of adjustment.