Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Videos and Drummer Showcase > Drum Solo Videos

Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Topsy is on a distinguished road

Swinging the stage custom

I bought this yamaha shell pack kit new 2012. It's considered an intermediate set. The set is a 5 piece but I use it as a 4 piece. Birch wood, 20 inch bass drum, snare is 14x5.5. I am going to try and swing the kit.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM

chopper is on a distinguished road

Re: Swinging the stage custom

Yeah, man…Lovin' this. I saw Buddy in "76. He came to our High School with The Killer Force. You've got that vibe going on.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Topsy is on a distinguished road

Re: Swinging the stage custom

Thanks Chopper. I was buying a pair of drum sticks in a music store in manhattan (early 1980's) and Buddy and some other guy walks in. I said hello to Buddy and talked to him for a few minutes. He told me his big band was playing that night, so I bought tickets to his show. I still have the ticket stubs.

When I was a kid I took drum lessons. In those days when you went to a drum instructor they taught, what you would call Drum Methods. This drummer puts a book in front of me called the, "Buddy Rich Modern Interpretation of Drum Rudiments". I think that was the name of the book, and I said to my drum teacher, who's this guy Buddy, I never heard of him, I was only 12 years old and didn't know anything about drumming. He just looked at me and said you will find out and we went through that book and several other drum set books.

I also was inspired by Gene Krupa. I never met Gene. I saw his movie when I was a kid and then listened to his records. Gene's playing was totally different than Buddy. I went through the book called the, "The Gene Krupa Drum Method", and use some of Genes techniques when I play. Gene was a Chicago jazz drummer, totally different feel, Buddy was a Bklyn/Manhattan jazz drummer a more aggressive drum approach to playing.

The drum vibe that you hear is a combination of both Buddy and Genes drum feel. I was influenced by alot drummers growing up but was inspired by those two.

Last edited by Topsy; 12-03-2012 at 02:18 PM..