Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Financial Woes

Has it happened to you? You find yourself short of cash and you have to unload drum gear that took years to get. It sucks but responsible adults have to do what they have to do! I sold a vintage Slingerland kit for $300 Canadian last year. Yikes! Now I have to try and sell "extra" cymbals and hardware for a quarter of what I paid.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

Re: Financial Woes

It's the same with any kind of gear---drums, guitars, amps, or whatever---"what it's worth" and "what someone will pay" are not even close!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

oldschool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland59 View Post
Has it happened to you? You find yourself short of cash and you have to unload drum gear that took years to get. It sucks but responsible adults have to do what they have to do! I sold a vintage Slingerland kit for $300 Canadian last year. Yikes! Now I have to try and sell "extra" cymbals and hardware for a quarter of what I paid.

WOW ! so sorry to read about your troubles my friend, only wish i had known this much sooner as i am an avid collector of vintage Slingerland kits, pieces and hardware. I could've maybe giv'in you a more fair price with the option for you to buy back later for same amount. I've been quite busy in the studio this past year, which leaves me damn lame about staying in touch with others, silly but prioraties just the same i guess. What else might you have left if any ? Feel free to send me a direct email if you like, as i check this almost daily. 'oldschool' via - josephschlichter@rocketmail.com Take Care my friend !

Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Kind words oldschool. Thanks. You sound like a nice guy. What's the studio project? Can you say?
I didn't even think about looking on the forum for help. I figured that shipping costs and hassles from Canada wouldn't be feasible. I took the quickest and easiest route of going to a drum shop I know.
This time around I'm doing the same thing but just with odd cymbals and hardware. Luckily I'm not going to sell my Mapex Orion kit. My shop owner would only pay $850! My hydro bills can wait a while!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Sorry to here that my old friend. I'm also looking to sell my Gretch Custom Maple kit.

Seems like we're all in the same boat nowadays. And it just keeps on sinking.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Not your pride and joy! That is rough! I remember the posts when you showed off how beautiful your kit is. Drums really are magnificient pieces of craftsmanship aren't they?

I hope your problems are temporary, like mine. I'm house poor but I expect my expenses to become more manageable soon. I sold about $1200 worth of cymbals, pedals and stands for $450 last week. It all went toward a hydro bill. I still have lots of drums and cymbals left over so I'll be fine. Actually less clutter feels good and I know other drummers will benefit from the stuff I sold.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

I had to leave New York City due to my physical status. Osteo Arthritus in my spinal.

I left my kit to my son who is a sound engineer . As a wedding gift to him. I told him to sell it as he may see fit

I moved to Puerto Rico 14 months ago, the tropics agree with me. Here people accept me as a shaman because I see things before they happen.

Lately I've been learning timbales and congas more than ever before. Just in case if you haven't noticed "Taino Indians" were the ones that met Christopher Colombus" in 1492.

So far I have five students whom I teach rudaments. I've come to understand that drumming will always be a part of me. I was born with it.

Peace my brother

Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Sounds like you're taking care of yourself Tainojim! That's what it's all about! I couldn't agree more that drumming is in our bones. It's a part of us. It's who we are, not what we do. Rock on friend!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM

I didn't think I would but now I sold my Mapex Orion beauties. I've still got an old Tama kit to practice on. I'll get another professional kit later on when I can truly afford it.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Ah that blows! Hope you got close to what they are worth, great set of drums the Orions.