Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

lug styles

I hear a lot of talk about minimizing contact between lugs, and/or other hardware and the shells to maximize resonance. However I see many "vintage/sought after" kits with full length lugs. Any thoughts?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Re: lug styles

I think the ideal lug situation in terms of shell resonance would be to have none of them touching the shell at all (and there are drums out there like this) but it is my opinion that too much attention can be placed on it. The shell gives the drum it's tone and in my opinion any shell can be made to sing given the right heads at the right tensions.

As far as the vintage drums with full strap lugs go (Tama Artstar ES and the Premier Signia Marquis sets come to mind), they sound great but might not be quite on the same level with modern sets due to the technological advances employed on todays shells (and even that is up for debate).

I would love to add a set of Premier Signias to my collection.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM

I feel the same way about shells---my first kit is an old Groove Percussion set, and I disassembled, inspected, and re-headed them before asking a pro drummer friend to help me fine tune them---when he showed up he spent about 2 minutes checking them out, and just started playing without even picking up a drum key! I could tell by the grin on his face that my $50 shells were well worth the $200 I spent on new heads!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Exactly!

I would take a vintage Yamaha Stage Custom over many of the mid line sets produced today without a second thought. I have to wonder if the lug size was used as a way to market newer equipment rather than really being a factor in the sound quality.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM

I am taking the same approach to drums as I always have with guitars---just because it costs more doesn't make it better---careful setup and tuning is the key to good sound and playability!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Topsy is on a distinguished road

I had several different kits and I never even thought about the lugs affecting the resonance of a drum. The heads you choose and how you tune the drums affects your sound. Of course the shell material does play a part in drum resonance. To me what ever drum set you happen to have, or material it happens to be made out of, you can get it sounding the best it possibly can sound, just by the right head and tuning combination, it's usually trial and error, to get the way you like it. I like my kits to resonate to it's fullest. That means, thin heads, no muffling of any kind (unless its designed into the head) (No blankets, tape) and tune the batter head correctly and the resonate head correctly for your perticular sound. It's something you will always experiment with because they are always coming out with new types of heads and equipment.
I use the Emac evans head for the bass drum batter head, and any single ply on the front head. For all my other batter heads, single ply, snare bottom head as paper thin as possible. For the most part it work's for me.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM

I have black suede Emperors on my snare and all my toms, with hazy resos, and a powerstroke 3 with a flame graphic reso on the kick, all tuned as low as they can go---I like the thump!