Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

BackStreet Drums is on a distinguished road

"Custom Drums"...Just how 'custom'

I am not a 'custom' set drummer...more a hobbyist, I have always been true to stock sets (Slingerland, Rogers, and now Gretsch).

However, one who is always admiring new and up-coming drum-smiths, recently, I discovered Precision Drums. They seem to be a supplier of hoops, lugs, shells and a very eclectic mix of what is needed to build a 'custom' drum. Their list of customers is a book in itself ranging from DW to Pork Pie.

So, I started to wonder. If they supply the great tools needed to build a custom set, just how custom are custom sets, if everyone is using the same supplier.

Check them out if you have not already. They supply to individuals looking to build their own custom set.

Some beautiful stuff.

www.precisiondrum.com

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

Re: "Custom Drums"...Just how 'custom'

If you really want 'custom' check out Wittman Percussion - Custom Drums, Stave Drums, Drum Sets, Snares Created by a Master Craftsman. Handcrafted, Heirloom Quality. Domestic and Exotic Woods. Lifetime Warranty! He makes stave shells that are amazing!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

BackStreet Drums is on a distinguished road

Some nice stuff...not as costly as I'd expect...very much in-line wiht a good set of DW...and surely of better quality.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

billondrums is on a distinguished road

The quality of DW's are excellent. The shells differ in how they are made. Plywood veneers versus staves. My experience with stave drums (congas and bongos) leads me to believe the shells will resonate less since the shells have more mass. Is that correct?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

blevinspercussion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to blevinspercussion

It's rare to find a custom drum shop that steam bends their own shells. Even SJC, who sells some of the priciest sets around, uses Keller shells. Even DW used Keller shells for a very long time. I actually would prefer it that way, because Keller makes some of the best shells around. Any other manufacturer steam bending their own shells would more than likely make in inferior product.

There are exceptions to this, such as the aforementioned stave drums. Stave drum shells are a pain to make, but not nearly as difficult as making a quality steam bent shell. Staves are relatively easy to assemble and you just need an industrial lathe to shape it into a perfect cylinder.

A few years ago, I ordered an unfinished Keller shell. I sanded it, stained it, put a beautiful satin finish on it, drilled it, and mounted all the hardware. It's my pride and joy, and while it may not be quite as pretty as some of the SJC snare drums I've seen, I'd put the sound against one of their drums any day. Essentially, I used the same raw materials that they do.

All of that being said, most custom drums are custom painted/finished/stained, assembled/whatever, but very few of them use custom shells.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

G-2 is on a distinguished road

With the exception being Craviatto, and Noble & Cooley (with regards to steam bent shells) as Noble & Cooley has been building snares (and kits) the same way since the mid to late 1800's. I also would put the Craviatto stuff in a similar category, but that is just my view...

I'd also say that the quality of shells also depends on the company and it's approach. Of the 2 DW kit's I have one is Keller, and the other is a complete DW build. Can't say a negative word about either. My TAMA rig is complete Japanese build, and again, not a negative word to be said, and the same goes for my Crush rig (which is a Taiwan build). I've got friends that play Yamaha's that love and swear by them and the same goes for Gretsch, Ludwig, Premier, Pearl, Sonor, et. al.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

dwb1983 is on a distinguished road

I second Hippy Chip on Wittman Stave Drums. I have a curly maple/walnut snare from him and it is amazing! Great full bodied 'crack' sound, no unpleasant overtones and great tuning range. It looks killer too, of course.