Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

mike wittman is on a distinguished road

wrapped shells vs unwrapped shells

Hello Drummers,
My name is Mike Wittman I am the owner of Wittman Percussion and Wittman Stave Drums. Soon to be just Wittman Stave Drums. Any way I was reading the thread about wrapped shells vs unwrapped shells and in my experience any kind of wrap installed on a wood type of shell be it a ply, stave , segment or solid will pretty much kill any chance the shell would of had to make some tone. As we all know sound is vibration, and when a drum shell is wrapped its vibration is being dampened and the shell will never sound as good as it could. If you want a huge improvement in the sound quality of your drumkit remove the wrap and finish with a little stain and some poly clearcoat... or you could just step up to one of my stave kits, all the staining and clearcoat will already be finished for you.
If any body has any questions about stave drums or drum refinishing and building feel free to ask me and I will try to give an accurate and practical answer.
Thank You
Mike @ Wittman Stave Drums

Last edited by mike wittman; 03-03-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

hippy chip is on a distinguished road

Re: wrapped shells vs unwrapped shells

I tell every drummer I meet about your badass drums! I have seen the ones Reno has in his shop, and they are even more awesome than the pictures!! I have been working with wood most of my life, so I understand what it takes to create the kind of quality drums you build!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Thank You for the kind words about my drums. I was wondering where it was you saw my drums (always curious) but Reno does have a few snares and a full kit there. I am currently working on a 4 piece Purpleheart kit , with a huge 14x26 kick drum, as well as a very large 18x18 4 legged floor tom I'll post some build pics later
Mike

Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 PM

I am planning to build a guitar neck from purpleheart---just need to find the right piece---about 2 x 3" would be the ticket!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM

G-2 is on a distinguished road

Agree Mike. That said, my wrapped kits are the ones I generally gig as they don't show wear and are more difficult to scratch.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 PM

G-2
I don't blame you for that , one has to keep his kit looking sharp. I have an old Tama Swingstar kit that I removed the wrap from and refinished with an amber colored stain and some polyurethane clear coat. What a huge difference in the sound quality of that kit, it now sounds as good or better than the higher priced kits Tama offers and looks 100% better than the gun metal grey wrap that was on the kit. I have done several other kits since that one and they all saw a BIG improvement in sound quality.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM

G-2 is on a distinguished road

That's a great point Mike. My 2 wrapped kits are a set of WMP LTD TAMA Starclassic Performers in 100% Birch (new in 98), and a set of DW's with Champagne Sparkle Wrap. My other 2 kits are a DW Collectors kit (new in Nov 2012) in Natural Satin, and a CRUSH Sublime kit in Ocean Blue Sparkle Lacquer. They all sound good to me. I used to play a set of Signia's in the studio and a set of wrapped Genista's. Love those drums too! I'm going to have to get over and see you Mike...

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...I`ve got some old Tama Imperialstars in gun metal with no resonant head. Might be a good project to strip them down and do the stain, laquer treatment. It couldn`t hurt, except I remember reading somewhere that you have to be careful when you take off the wrap from an old drum because part of the shell could tear off with the wrap and completely ruin the drum. Any tips...I think you`re supposed to gently heat the wrap with a hair dryer as you remove it....

Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Those shells may have just a couple thin lines of rubber contact cement holding the wrap. I just find the seam and spray a little lacquer thinner under there and gently pull the wrap at the same time. The thinner will melt the contact cement and the wrap will pull right off. No need to go crazy with the thinner just use enough to melt the glue. don't expect the grain to match or the shells to be all made from the same kind of wood. They hide lots of defects under there.
However, older Tama shells like yours are pretty good and should all be pretty close to the same.
I have never used a hair drier or heat gun to remove wrap. seems it would take a LOT of heat to melt the glue , and then a big melted mess of glue to clean . If you decide heat is the way to go... do not use any thinner or fire will result.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 PM

I have some cheap, generic shells that I removed the wrap from to experiment on before I do any good ones---there was only a small strip of glue at the seam which came off easily and only a little sanding was needed to clean up the residue! I plan to peel my backup snare next, and then my whole kit if all goes well!