Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Cymbals

Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Re: Has anyone "Customized" their own cymbal?

G-2 wanted to know how I chose the location for the rivets which sparked a long winded explanation on my part and we thought that this information should be posted here for others to use as well, so here it is:

Quote:
I played around with this many years ago and found that the location of the rivets plays a huge role in the effect you end up with. The closer to the edge you go, the longer and more pronounced the sizzle becomes. I have added rivets to ride cymbals as well crashes and found that the rides have a very long sustain and a deeper toned sizzle and the crashes sound like glass breaking with a high toned sizzle on the end. Very cool!

As a rule of thumb, don't go any closer to the edge of the cymbal than 75% of the diameter (if measuring from the center out) in order to keep the cymbal from developing a crack from the rivet hole to the edge. That is where I ended up after trying them closer to the bell, they sounded the best to me in this position. I used 1/8" diameter (3mm) x 1/2" length (12mm) brass rivets and when I rounded the end I matched the factory end leaving as much of the rivet to travel up and down as possible without it falling out of the hole. When you drill the hole you will want it to fit loosely so the rivet can move up and down easily.

I started with one rivet and hit the cymbal and added rivets to eventually end up with full sizzle without over doing it. I think on the rides I had 5 or 6 total and on the medium sized crashes I ended up on 4 evenly spaced around the cymbal.

You can also get a similar (not quite the same, but close) effect without drilling your cymbals, and if you are hesitant about putting holes in them you might try this first.

Take a length of light fixture pull chain (has the little metal balls) and place it under the wing nut and washer, but on top of the felt pad on top of the cymbal. You will want to wrap it around the post and tape or wire the end back to itself so it doesn't work it's way loose from the cymbal. Play with the length to get the desired sound and then trim to that length. Someone makes these now and they can be purchased so you may check into that, but for the price of the chain from a hardware store you will be far ahead doing them yourself.
Thought I would add a picture of that pull chain in case someone wasn't familiar with it:

I neglected to mention that I installed the rivets with the factory mushroom on the top.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

G-2 is on a distinguished road

Great insight and analysis, Thanks Der. I'm getting closer and closer to taking that damn cymbal ratler off there and just putting a few rivets in. I'd have to drill my Signature 20" Dry Ride, and my 80's A Zildjian 20" Rock Ride. Hmm...

Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Wow that's a serious descision to make!

The Paiste is at least a $400 cymbal and the Zildjian at least a $275 cymbal, choose wisely my friend.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM

I'm actually using a rattler with good result on both it's just hard to control where the darn rattler vibrates to. I just don't think I can bring myself to drill them. I'll see, I've got some rivits on the way from musicans friend, so we'll see... If I do it, there will be, before and after, pictures for sure...

Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

adruml is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-2 View Post
Those are some extremely well done cymbals. I've got two rides that need rivet's, Der, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Sending you a message... Adruml, those are really great looking, keep up the great work!! Thanks for Sharing as well!!
Haven't received a message yet but nothing wrong with putting rivets in and it's easy to do. The holes needed are small enough not to create any noticeable sound change so if your not happy or get tired of the rivets simply remove them and you have your old cymbal back, well with some holes.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

themazk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to themazk

I made these old crashes into some hats a couple weeks ago. I had welded a crack in each of these, then re-hammered the edges slightly to relieve airlock and give a little brighter chik. I used them once at practice and then Sunday on stage. I like them alot.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM

16" hats, interesting.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Very cool. I played 12" Paiste Signature Heavy Hats for years and have moved to 15's in just the last year and a half. Not sure what it is but I love the 15's. That said, Mr. Steve Jordan is using 17" Paiste Prototype Hi Hats (prototype as in we're not making these for anyone else...),

On another note, I haven't had a chance to do anything with the Rides, had some family stuff come up and that is taking my entire attention at this time.