Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

r.park1732 is on a distinguished road

Question Help me back into drumming...

First off,

Hi all. I am new to the forum and glad to be here. Recently I have had the opportunity to get back into drumming; something I really used to enjoy, but have not had a kit for some time now. I used to have a 5pc Tama Imperial Star kit, but it was ruined in a flood. Rest her soul. Now that I have the money and space, I really want to get a new kit and was looking for some advice from people more knowledgable than myself. So...

What I really want, is preferably an intermediate kit (something under $1500 dollars all said and done). I am a little weary about buying used and I am also having a hard time finding a complete kit (stands, cymbals, throne, mounts, etc.) in the intermediate range. I do not want an entry level kit. Mostly because I can afford better, but also I can appreciate a higher quality instrument and would like something that will last me years to come.

That being said, I am open to suggestions. So far I am somewhat biased towards Tama and Mapex kits, as out of the sets that I have played, those have impressed me most. But I will hear any sound argument for others. Thanks in advance all.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

G-2 is on a distinguished road

Re: Help me back into drumming...

Hi r.park1732 welcome. Good to have you here. As far as picking up an intermediate kit goes; first off, where are you located? If in an urban area, you might do well to look at one of your local shops. There you may be able to put together a setup. There is a great deal of great used gear out there. If you buy new, you're going to pay a premium. There are numerous great kits avail from all kinds of folks, PDP, TAMA, Yamaha, Premier, CRUSH. Do you have a specific wood in mind? Looking for thin shelled Maple or Birch? You've got choices, lots of good choices.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

r.park1732 is on a distinguished road

I am around the Fresno, CA area. A little south; but not urban in the least. So far the only thing I have found other than an online retailer is a guitar center or two. But I will look for some mom and pop shops as well. So far I am really leaining towards all birch shells. Also, at this point I am thinking a Tama Silverstar shell pack, buying a decent harware pack, and possbily a pack of Zildjian A Customs. From there I will look to see what my wants/needs/upgrades are down the road. For example, I would love a DW 9000 Double Bass pedal, but maybe not right now as it costs almost as much as the kit itself. Thanks for the reply G-2, and any other advice or suggestions are invited and encouraged.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM

The new Silverstar Shell pack are great! I've seen some very nice wood finishes on them as well! I own a pre-2K set of Starclassic Performers (when they were 100% Birch) in White Marine Pearl, and those drums are outstanding! I love 'em, and the Silverstars that I've tapped on are excellent Birch Kit! I'm going to shoot you a PM as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Here is a great deal on a Yamaha Stage Custom in your area:

DRUMSET *Yamaha Stage Custom* WON'T LAST!

These are worth a drive out to look at and play.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Der is right on there; definitely worth a look, and listen. If you're really worried about the shells (and these don't look like they've left the guys house) you can always take the heads off to check the edges. You should be able to hear how they tune and that should tell you a bit about the edges (can tune= edges good, can't tune=edges should be examined). You'd still have another 700 (plus what ever you can get for the old ones...) for cymbals.

I know you're not thrilled with used drums but you'd be putting yourself in a position for upgrading down the line without loosing $$'s on a brand new kit.

Food for thought...

Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM

You are spot on G-2.

My first set was a 1983 Yamaha Stage series (now called Stage Custom), I still own it, and it will never leave my possession because of it's sound quality. It as well as it's Maple shelled counterpart the Recording Custom are two must own sets in my opinion as both sound fat when playing live or recording (not to mention the fact that the Recording Custom is the single most recorded set in history).

You simply can not go wrong with this set at this price, and as G-2 stated, it leaves you money left over for upgrades like heads and cymbals.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM

1983, wow, that was some time ago!! My first kit was in 1976 it was an old beat up Leddy 4 pc, that I completely rebuilt (just disassembled everything cleaned polished and put back together) and they sounded real good, they were Mahogany blend or something. Man I couldn't get rid of them fast enough to get my Ludwig Silver Sparkle Super Classic Double Bass 6 pc kit. Those drums rocked and I wish I still had them, and actually I wish I still had the Leedy kit, foolish youth... Zildjian A's all the way around. Oh the days...

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Lol, it seems like yesterday!

'83 was the time in my life at which I was first able to purchase my own set, prior to that I played on sets owned by others (started playing in '69 at the age of 4).

Through all those years many sets have come and gone but I was smart enough to keep some of the sets that meant the most to me. A couple of those were my Stage Series and Recording Series sets which I will never part with.

I too wish I had kept them all.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM

I started in 70, at 6ish, and I can still remember the first song I was caught playing with wooden spoons on the pots and pans; "Come On Baby Light My Fire". Woo hoo!!! I remember watching the TV every night looking at Walter Cronkite in the Viet Nam Jungle, hoping I might catch a glimps of my uncle who was serving there in the 101st (hey, I was just a silly kid, I didn't realize we had 100,000 + troops and marines there...). Some turbid times. I played those Silver Sparkled Ludwigs until I walked away from drumming the first time at 22. Here is a shot of the kit after I stopped using the second Bass. Didn't play again until I was in my late 30's. My first set back to get back into drumming? Red 5pc Ludwig Rockers. Had to put hydrolic heads on them as they were not really tunable. Traded them in on the Premier Signia's, probably one of the nicest kits I've ever owned but they were in deeper power sizes. These are the Signia's which stayed in the studio and these are the Genista's which was my gigging kit Also amazing sounding kit!