Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

mjfpercussion is on a distinguished road

Cool Mapex Horizon Drums

Who uses a Mapex Horizon set for gospel and how do you like how the drums sound? What is your opinion on Evans Hydraulic heads for this set? In the future I'm planning on getting a set of these in the future, because a 7-piece kit of these cost over $100 less than a 6 piece kit of Yamahas.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

G-2 is on a distinguished road

Re: Mapex Horizon Drums

Hey mj, which Mapex Horizon are you looking at? The Horizon Birch (love birch, tends to be a little more 'punchy' - I own a birch kit) or the Horizon Big City? Both look very cool and while I don't play gospel, but I've possessed a set of Mapex Mars drums and they were a very nice kit (I was loaned them for about 2 years by a buddy who was an endorser of Mapex). The drums sounded great! I'm thinking that kit would be good for regular use. I do have some experience with Evan Hydrolic Heads (as I was a drummer during the "80's") and putting Evan Hydrolic heads on them will make them sound like boxes (a sound preferred by many sound guys). You might consider, Remo Pinstripes, and a pack of moon jells, that way you can add the moon jells for that 'boxy' sound you and/or your sound man is shooting for. Then if you want a little more tone from them, you can remove the moon jells and just run them open.

Let us know what you're looking at as far as the Horizon kits go and what sound you're looking for.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

I had the Mapex Orion -- 7 ply maple. It was very loud with a beautiful tone and finish. If the series you are buying uses the same shell and hardware construction -- which I think it does (lugs mounted with one screw for example) -- and you like the birch sound, then go for it. I`d definitely buy Mapex again. My buddy who sells used drums says the resale market is slow for Mapex because people don`t really know the name. But they are beautifully constructed and beautiful sounding drums.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

mjfpercussion is on a distinguished road

The drums I'm looking at are the Horizon Birch; and I like the fact that you mentioned the drums have a punch because my current set-a black Mars kit with 12, 13, 16 rock depth toms-has a bit of punch to it; but you have to work with the 12" tom a little in order to get that sound. The 16" isn't that bad but tuning it as low as I want takes a little more time. Prior to using Hydrualics, which I've used on an old kit which made those drums sound nice, I've played with G2s and EC2s for top and bottom. My current resonant heads are Evans Genera Resonants.

Last edited by mjfpercussion; 07-08-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Can't go wrong with Mapex, although I've never done more than 30-40 minutes on Horizons. I have Meridian Maples and they're great.