Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Davenhurst is on a distinguished road

Anyone else self-taught?

Just saw the thread about what you look for in a drum instructor and had a thought - I'd be interested to know what sort of education you've all had in terms of drumming, and what you feel its done for your playing alongside listening to drummers, watching drummers and just jamming....

I'll start off by saying that I've never had a lesson in my life, anyone else? I'd like to hear how other untutored drummers feel about their playing too.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

AvengedDrummer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AvengedDrummer
I've never had a lesson either... Theres so many resources on the internet you almost dont need a teacher anymore.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
I started off with some lessons but then after a year or so realized that I could teach myself through books, videos, and the internet. So I went independent for a bit. The only problem with that is that if you don't have a gig or a band it's really hard to stay motivated and try to get better.

For people just trying to get better, I think teachers are a good source of motivation. They could also push harder than you'd probaly push yourself.

But then again, I know a lot of great drummers who were self taught and are really amazing.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

benji01 is on a distinguished road
I'm self taught drummer/guitarist/bass guitarist. Taking piano lessons as a child makes it easier. I make sure every student I take on has at least 1-2 years of piano experience.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:38 PM

capitalist_junkie is on a distinguished road
I'm also self-taught. Basically, I always wanted to play drums as a kid, but my mom wouldn't let me. She said it was too noisy. Of course, she let me take clarinet lessons, and I have to say that beginning clarinetists sound waaaay worse than beginning drummers. Anyway, now that I'm out of the house and done with the craziness of college, I have time to spend learning my hobby. I've been working for just a few months now, and my drum kit isn't very big, but that's fine. I'm going to keep teaching myself, even though I'm progressing slowly, because I cannot really afford lessons from a qualified teacher. I don't really have professional aspirations, I just want to learn to play the drums and have some fun with it. Music has always been a hobby for me, and I like adding instruments to my repetoire. I may not ever master anything, but I like having the basics down on a lot of different ones.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

gyutae is on a distinguished road
The clarinet sounds like a dying duck.. Haha, at least the beginning players I've heard anyway.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

full metal is on a distinguished road
I am more or less self toght.
I was in school band from 5th grad all the way thru 12th,
my freind got a kit before me and he was taking lessons so when I got mine I asked him to teach me somthing and he showed me how to play,
when I was in high shool I also did marching band and I had drum lessons but it was only on snare, but it did help me a lot with timing.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Drummer1919 is on a distinguished road
I cant really talk I have had drum lessons for two years, but anymore my teacher and I only spend half the time working on drums and the other half talking about them which in a way I guess is learning abou them

Old 06-24-2006, 11:55 AM

capitalist_junkie is on a distinguished road
I dunno . . . . talking about them can be really useful, but I think the bulk of a lesson should be spent working with them. I spent my self-teaching sessions really working on the instrument, and do research on the drums when I'm not practicing. I guess I think that talking about the drums is best done in small bits during a lesson, but is more effective outside of a class time.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Raatikainen22 is on a distinguished road
i am self-taught also... i think i learn better if i can explore on my own vs. being told what to do because i can be creative. IDK but it works for me